Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenstates of the momentum operator

1. Dec 27, 2012 #1
    For the free particle the solution to the SE are eigenstates of the momentum.
    You get something like:
    ψ = Aexp(ik(x-vt)) + Bexp(-ik(x+vt)) , where k is a constant
    And my book then says that first term represents a wave travelling to the right and the second a wave travelling to the left. But I have a problem with the second statement, because doesn't the minus sign on the second term, that is the minus sign in front of (x+vt), change anything. Certainly the waves are not identical in shap because of that minus sign?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Eigenstates of the momentum are solutions, but not the only solutions - every superposition of them is a solution, too.

Your equation can be written as ψ = Aexp(ikx-ikvt) + Bexp(ik(-x)-ikvt)), which is just a substitution x -> -x, so the wave is mirrored.

4. Dec 27, 2012 #3
    but I dont understand then. Isn't x+vt the mirror of x-vt, not as you say -x+vt mirror of x-vt.

5. Dec 27, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Just put them into the SE to see which signs you need :).

6. Dec 27, 2012 #5
    what? I already put them in the SE and the general solution is:

ψ(x,t) = Aexp(ik(x-vt)) + Bexp(-ik(x+vt))

What I dont understand is just that the form a wave travelling to the left is for me exp(ik(x+vt)) not exp(-ik(-x+vt)) - what is the essential difference between these two waveforms?

7. Dec 27, 2012 #6

mfb

2016 Award

They have a different relation between phase and x-coordinate, while their time-evolution of the phase is the same (just determined by k and v).
    All this is multiplied with i and in an exponential - it is just a phase.

8. Dec 27, 2012 #7
    so you say its just a phasefactor? That would make sense I guess but if you multiply
    exp(-ik(x+vt)) by a phasefactor exp(i) you get exp(k(x+vt)) - clearly that is not what you wanted is it?

9. Dec 27, 2012 #8

mfb

2016 Award

If you multiply exp(-ik(x+vt)) by exp(i) the result is exp(-ik(x+vt) + i) = exp(-ik(x+vt-1/k))
    Which is equivalent to a shift by 1/k in x-direction or 1/(kv) in time.

The whole exp()-part is just a phase.

10. Dec 27, 2012 #9
    man I still dont get it. My multiplication of the exponential was wrong but I still dont see the answer to why:

exp(-ik(x+vt)) is the same as exp(ik(x-vt)) except for a phase.

11. Dec 27, 2012 #10
    Well, you agree that, in general, complex exponentials with the same coefficients differ only by a phase factor, yes? If so, then surely you can see how this is simply a particular case of that general rule.

12. Dec 27, 2012 #11
    but the the function in the exponential is not the same! x-vt≠x+vt

13. Dec 27, 2012 #12
    Sure, and that's the whole point. There is a *phase* by which they differ, though the *amplitudes* of these particular plane waves are equal. In particular, their phases differ such that they propagate in opposite directions (+x and -x).

14. Dec 27, 2012 #13
    ugh I see but normally you have exp(ik(x-vt)) and exp(ik(x+vt)) where you in this case instead of the last term have exp(ik(-x+vt)) - my question is really just what difference this -x instead of x does.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook