1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues of disturbed Hamiltonian

1. Sep 25, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone!
    I'm trying to follow a solution to a problem from the book "Problems and Solutions on Quantum Mechanics", it's problem 1017. There's a step where they go on too fast, and I can't follow. I've posted the solution and where my problem is down below.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The dynamics of a particle moving one-dimensionally in a potential [itex]V(x)[/itex] is governed by the Hamiltonian [itex]H_0=p^2/2m+V(x)[/itex], where [itex]p=-i\hbar d/dx[/itex] is the momentum operator. Let [itex]E_n^{(0)}, n=1,2,3,...,[/itex] be the eigenvalues of [itex]H_0[/itex]. Now consider a new Hamiltonian [itex]H=H_0+\lambda p/m[/itex], where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a given parameter. Given [itex]\lambda, m [/itex] and [itex]E_n^{(0)}[/itex], find the eigenvalues of [itex]H[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The new Hamiltonian is
    [itex]H=H_0+\lambda p/m=p^2/2m+\lambda p/m+V(x)=(p+\lambda)^2/2m+V(x)-\lambda^2/2m, [/itex]
    or
    [itex]H'=p'^2/2m+V(x),[/itex]
    where [itex]H'=H+\lambda^2/2m, p'=p+\lambda[/itex]
    The eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of [itex]H'[/itex] are respectively [itex]E_n^{(0)}[/itex] and [itex]\psi_n^{(0)}[/itex]

Why does [itex]H'[/itex] have the same eigenfunctions and eigenvalues as [itex]H_0[/itex]?

As the wave number is [itex]k'=p'/\hbar=\frac{1}{\hbar}(p+\lambda)[/itex], the new eigenfunctions are
    [itex]\psi=\psi^{(0)}e^{-i\lambda x/\hbar}[/itex]
    and the corresponding eigenvalues are
    [itex]E_n=E_0^{(0)}-\lambda^2/2m[/itex]

Kind regards
    Alex

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Shifting p by a constant λ does not change the eigenvalues. You just get eigenfunctions with an additional factor (the exponent you have there) compared to the original ones.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted