Eigenvalues of X''+2X'+(λ-α)X=0 with boundary conditions

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Chris_K
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Eigenvalues Lost
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Chris_K
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm having trouble getting started on this problem... I just really don't understand what to do.


Solve
[tex]X'+2X'+(\lambda-\alpha)X=0, 0<x<1[/tex]
[tex]X(0)=0[/tex]
[tex]X'(1)=0[/tex]

a. Is [tex]\lambda=1+\alpha[/tex] an eigenvalue? What is the corresponding eigenfunction?
b. Find the equation that the other eigenvalues satisfy.


I appreciate any help you can give me!

Thanks,
Chris
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
are u sure that the edo is correct?

you have there a linear second order d.o with constant coeficients and initial values, so your solution will be some linear comb. of exp[rt] (you have to calculate r of course).

i don't really understand why would you end with an eigenvalue problem in this way but maybe I am not well informed.
 
Yeah, everything on there is correct. I'm not sure what you mean though...


nm... figured it out.
 
Last edited:
[tex]X''+2X'+(\lambda-\alpha)X=0[/tex]

let [itex]X=e^{rt}[/itex] implies

[tex]r^2+2r+(\lambda-\alpha)=0[/tex]

so

[tex]r=-1\pm\sqrt{1-(\lambda-\alpha)}[/tex]

[tex]X(t)=Ae^{(-1+\sqrt{1-(\lambda-\alpha)})t}+Be^{(-1-\sqrt{1-(\lambda-\alpha)})t}[/tex]

[tex]X(0)=A+B[/tex]

so [itex]A=-B[/tex]<br /> <br /> [tex]X'(1)=A[r_{+}e^{r+}-r_{-}e^{r_{-}}]=0[/tex]<br /> <br /> [itex]A=0[/itex] would lead to the trivial solution, so <br /> <br /> [tex]r_{+}e^{\sqrt{1-(\lambda-\alpha)}}=r_{-}e^{-\sqrt{1-(\lambda-\alpha)}}[/tex]<br /> <br /> [itex]\lambda=1+\alpha[/itex] is clearly an eigenvalue<br /> <br /> and [itex]\lambda_{m}[/itex] satisfy the equation<br /> <br /> [tex]\frac{-1+\sqrt{1-(\lambda_{m}-\alpha)}}{-1-\sqrt{1-(\lambda_{m}-\alpha)}}e^{2\sqrt{1-(\lambda_{m}-\alpha)}}=1[/tex][/itex]
 
Last edited: