Einstein model of solids, energy in joules of one quantum

In summary, the energy of one quantum for an atomic oscillator in a block of lead is 8.0427e-22 J. This is calculated using the equation E=hbar*sqrt(20/m), where m is the mass of one atom in kilograms.
Deadsion

Homework Statement

the stiffness of the interatomic "spring" (chemical bond) between atoms in a block of lead is 5 N/m. Since in our model each atom is connected to two springs, each half the length of the interatomic bond, the effective "interatomic spring stiffness" for an oscillator is 4*5 N/m = 20 N/m. The mass of one mole of lead is 207 grams (0.207 kilograms).

What is the energy, in joules, of one quantum of energy for an atomic oscillator in a block of lead?

Homework Equations

E= hbar*sqrt(k/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

E=(1.05457148e-34)(sqrt(20/.207)
E=1.033e-33 J

After this i thought that i would just divide this number by the total number of oscillators and get the energy for one quanta, but that doesn't work. This is the only equation given in the book besides the one for finding the possible number of microstates, but i don't see how that would help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're done. It asks for the quantum of energy for an (as in one) atomic oscillator, and that is what you did.

Oh I figured out why it was wrong, its supposed to be the mass of one atom, not one mole. so m = .207/6.02e23
E=hbar*sqrt(20/m)
E=8.0427e-22 J

Aaargh, I missed that. Good catch.

1. What is the Einstein model of solids and how does it work?

The Einstein model of solids is a theoretical model proposed by Albert Einstein in 1907 to explain the thermal properties of solids. It assumes that atoms in a solid vibrate around a fixed equilibrium position and that these vibrations can be treated as harmonic oscillators. The model predicts that the energy of each oscillator is quantized in units of hν, where h is Planck's constant and ν is the frequency of the vibration. This allows for a more accurate understanding of the heat capacity and thermal conductivity of solids.

2. How does the Einstein model explain the energy in joules of one quantum?

The energy in joules of one quantum, or one quantum of vibration, can be calculated using the equation E = hν, where h is Planck's constant and ν is the frequency of the vibration. This equation comes from the quantization of energy in the Einstein model, which states that energy is only transferred in discrete packets or quanta. Therefore, the energy of one quantum can be expressed in joules using this equation.

3. What is the significance of the Einstein model in modern physics?

The Einstein model of solids was one of the first successful attempts at applying quantum mechanics to a macroscopic system. It paved the way for further development of quantum mechanics and helped to explain the thermal behavior of solids. The model also laid the foundation for the development of other quantum models, such as the Debye model, which can better explain the behavior of real solids.

4. What are some limitations of the Einstein model of solids?

While the Einstein model provides a good approximation for the heat capacity of solids at high temperatures, it fails to accurately predict the behavior at low temperatures. It also does not take into account the anharmonicity of atomic vibrations, which becomes more significant at higher energies. Additionally, the model does not consider the effects of quantum statistics, which are important in understanding the properties of real solids.

5. How does the Einstein model relate to other models in physics?

The Einstein model is closely related to other models in physics, such as the Debye model and the classical harmonic oscillator model. It also has connections to other areas of physics, such as thermodynamics and quantum mechanics. While it has its limitations, the Einstein model is an important tool in understanding the thermal properties of solids and has influenced the development of other models in physics.