General calculation of the oscillation freq of a hydrogen molecule

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 11K views
Kibbel
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Okay here's the problem, normally I can get all this stuff, but right now this is blowing my mind, partly because its too general.

"In other problems and examples in the textbook we found the effective spring stiffness corresponding to the interatomic force for aluminum and lead. Let's assume for the moment that, very roughly, other atoms have similar values.

(a) What is the (very) approximate frequency f for the oscillation ("vibration") of H2, a hydrogen molecule containing two hydrogen atoms? Remember that frequency is defined as the number of complete cycles per second or "hertz": f = 1/T. There is no one correct answer, since we're just trying to calculate the frequency approximately. However, just because we're looking for an approximate result doesn't mean that all answers are correct! Calculations that are wildly in disagreement with what physics would predict for this situation will be counted wrong.
f = _____cycles/s (hertz)"

Homework Equations



im using f = (1/T) = omega/2pi

and omega = sqrt(K/m), K being the spring constant, (or interatomic bond strength) and m being the mass of the object


The Attempt at a Solution



okay well first of all I just went and looked up the real answer because we never actually calculated the spring stiffness for aluminum or lead earler.

I put in, 8.03e14 cycles/s (hertz), but apparently the real answer is incorrect.

So I look in the textbook, and we have solved to find the interatomic bond strength of copper atoms, which was 20.6 N/m. So then I did

f = sqrt(K/m)/2*pi

sqrt(29.6/(2*1.674e-27))/(2*pi)

1.674e-27 being the mass of a hydrogen atom.

So I got 1.4965e14, which again was wrong!

Can someone help me out?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The mass in the equation ##f = \frac{1}{2 \pi}\sqrt{K/m}## should be the reduced mass of the two hydrogen atoms.