Einstein's energy mass relation

In summary, the unit for the energy released in Einstein's energy mass relation is Joules and the unit for mass must be in kilograms according to the equation E=mc2.
Hannah1

Homework Statement

In Einstein's energy mass relation, the unit for the energy released is Joules, this means that the unit for the mass must be

a. g
b. kg
c. it could be either grams or kilograms
d. Newtons

Homework Equations

E = mc2

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the answer is B. because kg tend to be the standard for equations I've been working on lately.

Am I correct??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hannah1 said:

Homework Statement

In Einstein's energy mass relation, the unit for the energy released is Joules, this means that the unit for the mass must be

a. g
b. kg
c. it could be either grams or kilograms
d. Newtons

Homework Equations

E = mc2

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the answer is B. because kg tend to be the standard for equations I've been working on lately.

Am I correct??
What is a Joule in SI units?

CAF123 said:
What is a Joule in SI units?

1 J in SI base units is equal to 1 kg·m2/s2.

The answer was, in fact, B. kg. :smile:

1. What is Einstein's energy mass relation?

Einstein's energy mass relation, also known as the famous equation E=mc^2, is a fundamental principle of physics that states that energy (E) and mass (m) are equivalent and can be converted into one another.

2. How did Einstein come up with this equation?

Einstein's energy mass relation was a result of his theory of special relativity, which he developed in the early 20th century. He realized that energy and mass are not separate, independent entities, but rather two sides of the same coin.

3. What does this equation mean?

This equation means that a small amount of mass can be converted into a large amount of energy, and vice versa. It also shows that mass is a form of stored energy.

4. How is this equation used in everyday life?

This equation has numerous practical applications, including nuclear power plants, nuclear weapons, and medical imaging techniques such as PET scans. It also plays a critical role in understanding the behavior of stars and galaxies.

5. Are there any limitations to this equation?

While Einstein's energy mass relation is one of the most famous and well-supported equations in physics, it does have limitations. It is only applicable in situations involving objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light, and it does not account for quantum effects.