Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Einstein's Photoelectric Equation and its graph

1. Nov 22, 2016 #1
    According to the equation, the graph of kinetic energy of emitted photoelectrons from a metal vs the frequency of incident radiation gives a straight line.

My doubt is, what factors does the slope of this line depend on? I think it depends on the nature of metal used. Correct me if I am wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Bloopy, :welcome:
    It looks as if you know which equation that is. Can you write it up in a post ?

4. Nov 22, 2016 #3
    I know this.

Attached Files:

5. Nov 22, 2016 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is really not an "equation". So let's start all over again. Can you write down the Einstein's photoelectric effect equation?

Zz.

6. Nov 22, 2016 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And what do you think of the mathematical description in the Wikipedia lemma right beside this picture ?

7. Nov 22, 2016 #6
    Energy supplied=Work Function + Kinetic Energy

8. Nov 22, 2016 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I am not quite sure why you are being a bit difficult, or if you don't quite know what you are doing.

So, if I write this:

Ek = hf - φ

where Ek is the maximum kinetic energy of the photoelectrons, h is the Planck constant, f is the frequency of light, and φ is the work function, do you understand that this is the photoelectric effect equation, similar to what you wrote, or do you need an explanation for this?

Zz.

9. Nov 22, 2016 #8
    I am on the same page as you

10. Nov 22, 2016 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not sure what page you're on, but OK.

Now, I will make the assumption that you know the mathematics for the equation of a straight line, i.e.

y = mx + b

so, I will not explain the meaning of that equation (this is the math that you should already know by the time you tackle this physics).

The graph you referred to in your original post is a graph of Ek versus f, i.e. Ek plotted in the vertical axis, and f in the horizontal axis. Make a visual identification of these two equations:

y = mx + b
    Ek = hf - φ

If you identify

y→Ek

and

x→f

then what corresponds to the slope of the line? As a bonus, what corresponds to the y-intercept of the line?

Zz.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted