Why do we have a saturation current in photoelectric effect?

In summary, the photoelectric experiment involves the emission of electrons when light with a frequency greater than the threshold frequency falls on a metal. The number of electrons reaching the cathode per second increases with an increase in potential, until it reaches a saturation when all emitted electrons are able to reach the cathode. This is because the rate of emission of electrons is fixed and dependent on the intensity of light. This understanding is important in measuring the quantum efficiency of photocathodes.
Shubhad Mathur
I had this question popped into my mind when I was reading this topic one day.
In the photoelectric experiment, when light, having frequency greater than the threshold frequency, falls on a metal, electrons are emitted. Since electrons emitted are of different energies (I presume it's because they're coming from different energy levels in the lattice of the metal), not all of them are able to reach the anode per second.

Now, in the curve between applied potential and photocurrent measured, on increasing potential, number of electrons reaching cathode per second increases. So naturally, the photocurrent also increases. But apparently, when "all" the electrons emitted are able to reach the cathode, the current reaches a saturation. Why?

Current here is basically number of electrons reaching the cathode reaching per second. On increasing the potential, electrons move faster, right? And since the photoelectric effect is continuously happening, (electrons getting emitted continuously by photons), more number of electrons should reach the cathode per second.

I KNOW THIS MAY SOUND WRONG, BECAUSE NUMBER OF ELECTRONS EMITTED DEPENDS ON INTENSITY OF LIGHT U...

Wait, so the number of electrons emitted per second is fixed because the intensity is fixed. Therefore yes, if we are increasing the potential, we are allowing those electrons (emitted at that time frame) to reach the cathode quicker so as to allow more electrons to reach cathode into that one second time period. But there aren't any more emitted electrons left to reach in that time period, are there? The number of electrons emitted per second is fixed.

SO, SATURATION CURRENT IS THAT CURRENT WHEN THE RATE OF FLOW OF CHARGE IN THE CIRCUIT BECOMES EQUAL TO THE RATE OF EMISSION OF ELECTRONS .

So I just answered my question while writing it. Is my understanding correct? Have I reached the right conclusion, or am I greatly flawed? I would really like to hear your views on this topic!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Shubadh, :welcome:

Yes. Light intensity determines the current when the frquency of the light is high enough. Google "photoelectric effect current vs voltage" to see pictures.

Likes Shubhad Mathur
Shubhad Mathur said:
I had this question popped into my mind when I was reading this topic one day.
In the photoelectric experiment, when light, having frequency greater than the threshold frequency, falls on a metal, electrons are emitted. Since electrons emitted are of different energies (I presume it's because they're coming from different energy levels in the lattice of the metal), not all of them are able to reach the anode per second.

Now, in the curve between applied potential and photocurrent measured, on increasing potential, number of electrons reaching cathode per second increases. So naturally, the photocurrent also increases. But apparently, when "all" the electrons emitted are able to reach the cathode, the current reaches a saturation. Why?

Current here is basically number of electrons reaching the cathode reaching per second. On increasing the potential, electrons move faster, right? And since the photoelectric effect is continuously happening, (electrons getting emitted continuously by photons), more number of electrons should reach the cathode per second.

I KNOW THIS MAY SOUND WRONG, BECAUSE NUMBER OF ELECTRONS EMITTED DEPENDS ON INTENSITY OF LIGHT U...

Wait, so the number of electrons emitted per second is fixed because the intensity is fixed. Therefore yes, if we are increasing the potential, we are allowing those electrons (emitted at that time frame) to reach the cathode quicker so as to allow more electrons to reach cathode into that one second time period. But there aren't any more emitted electrons left to reach in that time period, are there? The number of electrons emitted per second is fixed.

SO, SATURATION CURRENT IS THAT CURRENT WHEN THE RATE OF FLOW OF CHARGE IN THE CIRCUIT BECOMES EQUAL TO THE RATE OF EMISSION OF ELECTRONS .

So I just answered my question while writing it. Is my understanding correct? Have I reached the right conclusion, or am I greatly flawed? I would really like to hear your views on this topic!

Yes, you found the answer to your question. The rate of emission depends on the intensity (number of photons per second) of light. So by the time you reach saturation, you are capturing all the electrons emitted.

When I measure the quantum efficiency of photocathodes, I always make sure that this is done within the saturation voltage. However, I also make sure that the gradient isn't so high that the Schottky effect becomes no longer negligible that it significantly alters the effective work function.

Zz.

Last edited:
Likes Shubhad Mathur

1. Why is a saturation current observed in the photoelectric effect?

The saturation current in the photoelectric effect is a result of the maximum number of electrons that can be emitted from a metal surface. This is due to the fact that once the surface is exposed to a certain intensity of light, all the available electrons are already emitted, and any further increase in the intensity of light will not result in an increase in the number of emitted electrons.

2. What factors affect the magnitude of the saturation current?

The magnitude of the saturation current is affected by the intensity of the incident light, the work function of the metal surface, and the surface area of the metal. A higher intensity of light, a lower work function, and a larger surface area will result in a higher saturation current.

3. How does the saturation current change with increasing frequency of the incident light?

The saturation current is not affected by the frequency of the incident light as long as it is above the threshold frequency. This is because the energy of the incident photons is directly proportional to the frequency, and as long as the energy is above the work function, the number of emitted electrons will remain the same.

4. Why is the saturation current independent of the applied voltage?

The saturation current is independent of the applied voltage because it is solely dependent on the intensity of the incident light. Increasing the applied voltage will only result in an increase in the kinetic energy of the emitted electrons, but it will not change the number of electrons emitted from the metal surface.

5. How does the saturation current relate to the photoelectric current?

The saturation current is a part of the photoelectric current, which is the total current generated by the emission of electrons from the metal surface. The saturation current represents the maximum current that can be achieved in the photoelectric effect, while the photoelectric current can vary depending on the intensity of the incident light and the applied voltage.