Either the question is wrong or I'm missing something obvious

• Thread starter pasmith
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the assumption that the local velocity of cars is solely a function of the local density of cars along an infinite, straight, one-track road. Using this assumption, it is shown that the kinematic wave speed is defined by c(\rho) = Q'(\rho) and that information propagates upstream at a speed V_0 relative to the local vehicle velocity. It is also shown that there is a maximum traffic flow which occurs at some density \rho_{\mathrm{crit}} corresponding to a critical speed v_{\mathrm{crit}} of around 75 kph. This leads to a discussion on the "waviness" of traffic flow and the need to consider the average traffic flux rather than the instantaneous
pasmith
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

This is exercise 2.4.2 from Pringle and King, Astrophysical Flows (CUP 2007):

Along an infinite, straight, one-track road the local density of cars is [itex]\rho(x,t)[/itex] and the local velocity of cars (all assumed to be traveling in the same direction) is [itex]v(x,t)[/itex]. Discuss why it might be reasonable to assume that [itex]v[/itex] is solely a function of [itex]\rho[/itex].

Making this assumption, show that [tex]
\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + c(\rho) \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial x} = 0
[/tex] where the kinematic wave speed is defined by [itex]c(\rho) = Q'(\rho)[/itex] and [itex]Q = \rho v[/itex] is the local flux of cars.

Traffic flow along a particular highway can be fitted approximately for [itex]\rho < \rho_{\mathrm{max}}[/itex] by [tex]Q(\rho) = V_0\rho \log(\rho_{\mathrm{max}}/\rho),[/tex] where [itex]V_0 = 25\,\mathrm{kph}[/itex] and [itex]\rho_{\mathrm{max}} = 150\,\mathrm{vechicles}\,\mathrm{km}^{-1}[/itex].

Show that information propagates upstream at a speed [itex]V_0[/itex] relative to the local vehicle velocity.

Show that there is a maximum traffic flow which occurs at some density [itex]\rho_{\mathrm{crit}}[/itex] corresponding to a critical speed [itex]v_{\mathrm{crit}}[/itex] of around 75 kph.

[Remainder omitted]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

All is straightforward until we consider the particular choice of [itex]Q[/itex]. Firstly we have [tex]
c = Q' = V_0\left(\log(\rho_{\mathrm{max}}/\rho) - 1\right) = \frac Q\rho - V_0 = v - V_0[/tex] so indeed [itex]c - v = -V_0[/itex].

Now we're asked to find the maximum traffic flow. This corresponds to the maximum of [itex]Q[/itex], and we've just shown that [itex]Q' = v - V_0[/itex]. Thus the maximum occurs at [itex]v_{\mathrm{crit}} = V_0[/itex], at which point [itex]\rho_{\mathrm{crit}} = e^{-1}\rho_{\mathrm{max}}[/itex].

According to the question, [itex]v_{\mathrm{crit}} \approx 3V_0[/itex]. Am I missing something obvious, or is the question wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You apparently had no problem deriving the kinematic wave equation (you didn't ask for help on that part), but then you promptly ignored that "waviness" in the rest of your analysis. You need to account for the fact that traffic flows in waves, at least when density is high enough.

You found the maximum instantaneous flux. It's the traffic flux ##\bar Q## averaged over time that you should be maximizing rather than that instantaneous flux.

1. What does "Either the question is wrong or I'm missing something obvious" mean?

This phrase is commonly used to express confusion or uncertainty about a question or situation. It suggests that there may be an error in the question itself or that the person saying it may not fully understand it. It is often used when someone is struggling to find an answer or solution.

2. How do I know if the question is wrong or if I'm just missing something obvious?

This can be a difficult question to answer, as it depends on the specific situation. However, a good approach is to carefully review the question and make sure you understand all the components and assumptions. If you still can't find an answer, it may be helpful to seek clarification from the person who asked the question or consult with others for their perspectives.

3. Is it okay to ask for help if I think the question is wrong or I'm missing something obvious?

Absolutely! It is always better to ask for help and clarification rather than struggling and potentially wasting time and energy. Asking for help also shows that you are willing to learn and collaborate with others, which are important qualities in the scientific community.

4. How can I avoid making the mistake of asking a wrong question or missing something obvious?

One way to avoid this mistake is to take your time and carefully think about the question before asking it. Make sure you understand all the components and assumptions, and try to anticipate any potential issues or misunderstandings. It can also be helpful to have someone else review the question before asking it to ensure clarity.

5. Can "Either the question is wrong or I'm missing something obvious" be used in a professional setting?

Yes, this phrase can be used in a professional setting, such as during a scientific research project or a discussion with colleagues. However, it is important to use it respectfully and avoid placing blame on others. It is also important to follow up with a clear explanation of the issue at hand so that it can be addressed and resolved effectively.