Elastic And Inelastic Collision Questions

In summary, Problem 1 asks how high the ball will rebound when dropped from a height h above steel plate. The coefficient of restitution for steel colliding with steel is 0.95. If steel is dropped from a height h above steel plate, to what height will the ball rebound? Problem 2 is a typo and asks what the recoiling speed of a moving particle is. The recoiling speed is 1/3 of the incident speed.
spikefreeman

Homework Statement

Problem 1: The coefficient of restitution for steel colliding with steel is 0.95. If steel is dropped from a height ho above steel plate, to what height will the ball rebound.

Problem 2: in an elastic head on collision with a stationary target particle, a moving particle recoils of its incident speed. What is the ration of the particles masses (m/M)

Homework Equations

1. v2-v1=-e(v2o-v1o)
v=sqrt(2gh)

2. mv= mv + MV

The Attempt at a Solution

1. -e= (v2-v1)/(v2o-v1o)
-.95=(v2-v1)/(v2o-v1o)
From there I honestly have no clue what to do.

2. mv = m(-1/3V) +MV
4/3mv = MV
The book answer is 1/2, and I'm working with thirds? Should I be using a KE equation?

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Part 1.
What do v1, v2, v10 and v20 represent? Can you find expressions for them?

Part 2.
What is (-1/3 V) ?

v1o and v2o are the speeds before the collision, v1o at the top and v2o at the bottom. v1 is speed after collision and v2 is speed at max height after collision. So v1o and v2 are zero, and v2o is sqrt(2gh). Is any of that right?

I'm not really sure what you mean by what is -1/3V. Its a negative velocity.

spikefreeman said:
v1o and v2o are the speeds before the collision, v1o at the top and v2o at the bottom. v1 is speed after collision and v2 is speed at max height after collision. So v1o and v2 are zero, and v2o is sqrt(2gh). Is any of that right?
The speeds of what before and after the collision? In your particular problem, what is object 1 and what is object 2?

I'm not really sure what you mean by what is -1/3V. Its a negative velocity.
It is a negative velocity representing the velocity of what object? Why did you pick 1/3 as opposed to 1/5 or 1/7?

Object 1 is the ball and object 2 is the steel plate. But I have speeds all for object one.

O v1o
l
l
l
l
V v2o
------

The o at the top is the ball and the l and v are an arrow, then the dashes are the steel plate. Then the V1 and V2 are the coresponding speeds except after the collision on the way back up. That is how I understood the problem

For the second problem, the 1/3 is given as the recoiling speed of the moving particle.

spikefreeman said:
Object 1 is the ball and object 2 is the steel plate. But I have speeds all for object one.

O v1o
l
l
l
l
V v2o
------

The o at the top is the ball and the l and v are an arrow, then the dashes are the steel plate. Then the V1 and V2 are the coresponding speeds except after the collision on the way back up. That is how I understood the problem
You understood the problem correctly. I believe that in this problem you are to assume that the steel plate is (and remains) at rest on the floor. What does this mean for v20 and v2? Also, can you find an expression for v10?

For the second problem, the 1/3 is given as the recoiling speed of the moving particle.
There is nothing in the statement of the problem that indicates that. Can you post the statement exactly as it is given?

v1o = 0 right? because its dropped from rest.
That means that v2o = sqrt(2gh) and that v2 is 0 because it is the maximum of the bounce.

Problem 2, that was a typo. It recoils at 1/3 of the incident speed. Sorry about that.

spikefreeman said:
v1o = 0 right? because its dropped from rest.
That means that v2o = sqrt(2gh) and that v2 is 0 because it is the maximum of the bounce.
No, no, no. As I said, the steel plate is and remains at rest on the floor. If object 2 is the steel plate then what should v20 and v2 be?

Also, v10 is the speed of the ball just before it hits the floor and v1 is its speed just after the collision. If you know v1, you can find how high the ball will rise.
Problem 2, that was a typo. It recoils at 1/3 of the incident speed. Sorry about that.
Look in your textbook. It must have an expression giving the final velocities of two colliding masses in terms of their initial masses when the collision is elastic. Use that expression.

ok that makes more sense. So v2 and v2o are zero. so v1o = Sqrt(2gh) and v1 is solved using mv=mv?

spikefreeman said:
ok that makes more sense. So v2 and v2o are zero. so v1o = Sqrt(2gh) and v1 is solved using mv=mv?
No. You find v1 using the given coefficient of restitution.

kk, so i just v1o in set the v2 as zeroes and i should be able to find v1. Is that it?

For part two I will check in the book.,

Thanks for you help.

spikefreeman said:
kk, so i just v1o in set the v2 as zeroes and i should be able to find v1. Is that it?
I am not sure what you mean by this so I cannot say that it is or isn't OK.

I meant to say, I plug v1 in as sqrt(2gh) and set the v2 as zeroes...

spikefreeman said:
I meant to say, I plug v1 in as sqrt(2gh) and set the v2 as zeroes...
v10 = sqrt(2gh), not v1.

right, and then solve for v1, and then use mgh. Is that it?

That's it.

Great, thanks alot, that was very helpful.

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision. In other words, the objects involved in the collision bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

2. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that some of the energy is lost during the collision, usually in the form of heat or sound. In these types of collisions, the objects involved may stick together or deform upon impact.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

The main difference between elastic and inelastic collisions is the conservation of kinetic energy. In elastic collisions, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in inelastic collisions, some of the energy is lost. Additionally, inelastic collisions often result in objects sticking together or deforming, while elastic collisions result in objects bouncing off each other.

4. How do you calculate the velocities of objects after an elastic collision?

To calculate the velocities of objects after an elastic collision, you can use the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations. First, calculate the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system before the collision. Then, set these values equal to the total momentum and total kinetic energy after the collision, and solve for the velocities of the objects.

5. What real-life examples demonstrate elastic and inelastic collisions?

An example of an elastic collision is when two billiard balls collide on a pool table. The balls will bounce off each other without losing any energy. An example of an inelastic collision is when a car crashes into a barrier. The car will deform upon impact, and some of the kinetic energy will be lost in the form of heat and sound.