Elastic collision/ momentum question w/ conservation of energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
mjmontgo
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In deep space a 7.0 kg rubber ball moving along the x-axis with a speed of 20 m/s collides ELASTICALLY with another ball of mass = 25 kg. After the collision the 7.0kg rubber ball's velocity is directed in the positive y axis. Find the final speed of the 7 kg ball, as well as the VELOCITY of the 25 kg ball (speed and direction)

Homework Equations


m1v1= m1v1f+m2v2f

1/2m1v12= 1/2m1v1f2 +1/2m2v2f2

The Attempt at a Solution



so i know that because the smaller mass is afterwards directed in the positive y direction, that all of its x momentum is transferred to the bigger mass. I've found a velocity for the x component of the bigger mass, however I am stucking finding the y component, which in turn would give me the over all final velocity, which i can use to calculate the angle as well as the final speed of the smaller mass. Would be greatly appreciated if someone could point out the extra equation I am missing. Basically what i have so far boils down to these equations:

m1v1x= m2v2finalx and i work out the x component of the larger mass to be 140/25 m/s

the other equation i have is for the y direction and that is :
-m2v2fy= m1v1fy

i know i somhow need to use the energy conservation formula but I am just not seeing it.
Thanks a lot in advance for you help and time guys.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing fine. Write out the energy conservation using v2 = vx2+vy2
 
Ok, so I've rewritten the energy conservation formula and what it comes down to is:

m1v1xi2= m1v1yf2+m2v2xf2+m2v2yf2


with some substitution with my known quantities i.e mass and m2v2xf=140/25

i get 2016= 7kgv1yf2+25v2yf2

which i solve in terms of v1yf and sub into -m2v2fy=m1v1yf

but when i calculate the velocity i get a negative answer, which doesn't make sense for v1yf because we already know from the question that it's moving in the positive y- direction after the collision.

Maybe I'm just making a silly arithmetic error but what i get is:

-sqrt(2016-7kg(v1yf2))=25kgv1yf2 and you can't take sqrt of a negative obviously?
 
-m2v2fy=m1v1yf

From this momentum equation you have one velocity in terms of the other, substitute into your energy equation.
 
Still, your method should work.
2016= 7kgv1yf2+25v2yf2 is fine. How come I continue with
2016 - 7kgv1yf2 = 25v2yf2 and never find a minus sign ?

Ah, I see, you solve in terms of v1 means you get v2,y2 = (2016 - 7kgv1yf2)/25 which has 2 solutions, right ?

And you continue with which one ?
Whatever, don't forget to check your outcome, because I think I'm missing something still.
 
Last edited:
mjmontgo said:
with some substitution with my known quantities i.e mass and m2v2xf=140/25
You mean v2xf=140/25 m/s, yes?
i get 2016= 7kgv1yf2+25v2yf2

which i solve in terms of v1yf and sub into -m2v2fy=m1v1yf

-sqrt(2016-7kg(v1yf2))=25kgv1yf2
I don't see how you get that last equation. It doesn't make sense dimensionally. Did you mean -(2016-7kg(v1yf2))=25kgv1yf2? That would be a sign error somewhere. I suspect you squared -m1v1yf/m2 and left the result as negative.