1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic collision of the rigid balls

1. Nov 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I can't believe it how my brains stopped cooperating today.
    We have the first ball with ##m_1 ## and ##v_1## and of course the second one with ##m_2## and velocity ##v_2##. Covariance matrix before the collision is ##M=
    \begin{bmatrix}
    \sigma _1^2 & 0\\
    0& \sigma _2^2
    \end{bmatrix}## . Calculate the covariance matrix after the elastic collision

2. Relevant equations
    ##{\vec x }'=\Phi {\vec x }## if ##\Phi ## is the transformational matrix and if ##{(xyz)}'## indicates the values after the collision.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Now my idea was to move to the center of mass system but due to my brain blockage I am not able to find or to work with any given equation. -.-

This is wrong, and I can't find out why:

Lets use notation ##u## for the velocities in the center of mass system and let ##v_{CMS}## be the center of mass velocity. Than I guess ##u_1=v_1-v_{CMS}## and ##u_2=-v_2-v_{CMS}##.

Of course in center of mass system ##m_1u_1-m_2u_2=0## which leaves me with the most stupid thing ever, saying that ##v_{CMS}=\frac{m_1v_1+m_2v_2}{m_1-m_2}##.

Could somebody please help me a bit?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

If you assume that v1 and v2 are signed values, then the total momentum of the initial system is just:

P = m1*v1 + m2*v2

You can then find a velocity VCMS (the relative velocity of the center of momentum frame) to add to both v1 and v2 such that the momentum becomes zero. That is,

0 = m1*(v1 + VCMS) + m2*(v2 + VCMS)

Solve for VCMS

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted