Combining conservation of momentum and kinetic energy

Then use this value of ##m## to find the value of ##v_x## in terms of ##u_x##.In summary, the problem involves two railway trucks, one laden with mass M and the other empty with unknown mass m, approaching each other at constant velocities. After an elastic collision, the velocity component of the laden truck is halved but remains in the same direction, while the empty truck's velocity component is unknown. The problem asks to rearrange the momentum and energy equations to find values for m and vx, using known values for M and ux. By rearranging the equations and combining them, an expression for vx is found to be (M/2m - 2)ux. The next step is
DuoASM
Hi everyone, hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction with this problem, I get as far as combining the two equations together and no matter how I rearrange them they don't seem to cancel nicely and leave me with an awful quadratic, I can find vx, but the question specificity states to find m first.

Question:
Consider two railway trucks that can travel along a straight railway track which defines the x-axis. A laden truck of mass M =6 .6×103 kg and an empty truck of unknown mass m approach each other at constant velocity. The laden truck has an initial velocity component of ux = +2 .0ms−1 which is half that of the initial velocity component of the empty truck (but in the opposite direction). After an elastic collision, the velocity component of the laden truck is halved, but it continues in the same direction. The unknown post-collision velocity component of the empty truck is vx.
(b) Rearrange the momentum equation into the form: vx = ...,and rearrange the energy equation into the form m = ...Then combine these simultaneous equations to determine values, first for m and then for vx, using the known values of M and ux.

The attempt at a solution

Rearranging equations:
Momentum:
$$ m_1u_1+m_2u_2=m_1v_1+m_2v_2 $$
$$ m_1u_1+m_2u_2-m_1v_1=m_2v_2 $$
$$ v_2=\frac{m_1u_1+m_2u_2-m_1v_1}{m_2} $$
$$ v_2=\frac{m_1u_1-m_1v_1}{m_2}+u_2 $$
$$ v_2=\frac{m_1\left(u_1-v_1\right)}{m_2}+u_2 $$

Kinetic energy:
$$ \frac{1}{2}m_1u_1^2\ +\ \frac{1}{2}m_2u_2^2\ =\ \frac{1}{2}m_1v_1^2\ +\ \frac{1}{2}m_2v_2^2 $$
$$ m_1u_1^2+m_2u_2^2=m_1v_1^2+m_2v_2^2 $$
$$ m_1u_1^2=m_1v_1^2+m_2v_2^2-m_2u_2^2 $$
$$ m_1u_1^2-m_1v_1^2=m_2v_2^2-m_2u_2^2 $$
$$ m_1\left(u_1^2-v_1^2\right)=m_2\left(v_2^2-u_2^2\right) $$
$$ m_2=\frac{m_1\left(u_1^2-v_1^2\right)}{\left(v_2^2-u_2^2\right)} $$This is where It starts getting messy, I can't seem to find a way to get the square terms to vanish which makes this problem a mess, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
It will not be as messy if you put in what the problem is giving you including the symbols. For example, the laden truck has initial velocity ##u_x## and mass ##M## while the empty truck has mass ##m## and twice the velocity of the laden truck in the opposite direction. I would write the initial momentum as ##P_{initial}=Mu_x+m(-2u_x)##. How would you write ##P_{final}##?

kuruman said:
It will not be as messy if you put in what the problem is giving you including the symbols. For example, the laden truck has initial velocity ##u_x## and mass ##M## while the empty truck has mass ##m## and twice the velocity of the laden truck in the opposite direction. I would write the initial momentum as ##P_{initial}=Mu_x+m(-2u_x)##. How would you write ##P_{final}##?

So it would look something like:

$$ P_{final} = M\frac{u_x}{2} + mv_x $$

Yes. Now do the initial and final energy along these lines.

So we have;

$$E_{k initial} = \frac{1}{2}Mu_x^2 + \frac{1}{2}m(-2u_x)^2 $$
$$ E_{k final} = \frac{1}{2}M(\frac{u_x}{2})^2 + \frac{1}{2}mv_x^2 $$

Correct. Can you proceed and finish the problem on your own?

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow, but I'm not seeing how this makes it simplify out, unless I'm going to far these new equations give us:

$$ v_x=\frac{M\left(u_x-\left(\frac{u_x}{2}\right)\right)}{m}+\left(-2u_x\right) $$
and
$$ m=\frac{M\left(u_x^2-\left(\frac{u_x}{2}\right)^2\right)}{\left(v_x^2-\left(-2u_x\right)^2\right)} $$

and I'm not sure how this helps.

Take a good look at your expressions. Can you simplify them?

On edit: Add the fractions.

This is the part where I got stuck when I tried it this way before. I'm not sure where I am meant to be looking, the only other suggestion I have found suggests finding the ratio of M/m as a first step, which would give:

$$ \frac{M}{m} = \frac{( v_x^2 - (-2u_x)^2)}{u_x^2 - (\frac{u_x}{2})^2)} $$

Which can be expanded;

$$ \frac{M}{m} = \frac{(v_x - (-2u_x)) (v_x + (-2u_x))}{(u_x - (\frac{u_x}{2})(u_x + (\frac{u_x}{2})} $$

You are digressing. You are asked to find an expression vx = ... as your first task. You already have $$v_x=\frac{M\left(u_x-\left(\frac{u_x}{2}\right)\right)}{m}+\left(-2u_x\right)$$
Can you simplify this as ##v_x=(something)\times u_x##? I will get you started. Begin by noting that ##u_x-\frac{u_x}{2}=\frac{u_x}{2}##.

Embarrassing how I missed that, would:
$$ v_x = (\frac{M}{2m} - 2) u_x $$
be the correct simplification?

DuoASM said:
I can't seem to find a way to get the square terms to vanish
You are well on the way to solving this one anyway, but for future reference:
Newton's Experimental Law gives a general relationship between relative velocities before and after collision that does not involve masses. In the special case of KE conservation, it simplifies to: relative velocity after = -(relative velocity before). This can be deduced from conservation of energy and conservation of momentum, but it is worth remembering in itself because it involves no masses and no quadratics.

DuoASM said:
Embarrassing how I missed that, would:
$$v_x = (\frac{M}{2m} - 2) u_x$$ be the correct simplification?
It would be. The comment by @haruspex is good for future reference. The path that the problem suggests is also good for this particular problem. Now you need to complete the second task, write the mass of the empty truck as ##m = ...## Once you have done that, I suggest that you replace in it the expression for ##u_x## that you have already found and solve for ##m##. It should simplify to ##m = (some~number)\times M##.

1. What is the relationship between conservation of momentum and kinetic energy?

The conservation of momentum and kinetic energy are both fundamental principles in physics. These concepts are closely related, as the conservation of momentum leads to the conservation of kinetic energy in a closed system. This means that in a system where no external forces are acting, the total momentum and kinetic energy will remain constant over time.

2. How can conservation of momentum and kinetic energy be applied in real-world situations?

The principles of conservation of momentum and kinetic energy are widely used in a variety of fields, from engineering to sports. For example, in car crashes, the conservation of momentum can be used to predict the speed and direction of the cars after impact. In sports, the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy are important in understanding the trajectory of a ball, such as in basketball or baseball.

3. How is momentum and kinetic energy conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total momentum and kinetic energy of the system are conserved. This means that the sum of the momentum and kinetic energy of the objects before the collision is equal to the sum of the momentum and kinetic energy after the collision. In an elastic collision, there is no loss of energy due to friction or other forces, so the total energy of the system remains constant.

4. Are there any situations where conservation of momentum and kinetic energy do not hold true?

In most situations, the principles of conservation of momentum and kinetic energy hold true. However, there are some exceptions, such as in situations involving nuclear or chemical reactions, where energy can be lost or gained. Additionally, in systems where external forces are present, such as in non-closed systems, the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy may not hold true.

5. How do momentum and kinetic energy relate to each other in a perfectly inelastic collision?

In a perfectly inelastic collision, the objects stick together after impact and move with a common velocity. In this case, the kinetic energy is not conserved, as some of the energy is lost due to deformation or other factors. However, the total momentum is still conserved, as the sum of the momentums of the objects before the collision is equal to the sum of the momentums after the collision.