1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic Collision with objects of equal masses

1. Nov 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve for the Velocity of each mass after the collision.

2. Relevant equations
    Pi = Pf
    Ki = Kf

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay so I've tried setting up a system of equations to solve for the unknown velocity and angles. The problem is that I can't seem to find either unknown angle. I know that momentum for each axis must be conserved and that total energy must be conserved. That gives me three equations but I can't figure out how to solve for both the velocity and the angles. I do know that θ1 + θ2 = 90°

h0iIVBm.png

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In which direction is the force acting on ##m_2## during the collision directed?

4. Nov 16, 2014 #3
    45° below the horizon? I know it has something to do with this I'm just at a complete loss.

5. Nov 16, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What makes you say 45°? What is your rationale behind this? Can you make a geometric argument?

6. Nov 16, 2014 #5
    I can't but I think I see what your getting at. Because we know the distance between the center of the circles we should be able to calculate the angle. Using (.35/2)m and radius of .5m I get an angle 20.5 degrees below the horizon.

7. Nov 16, 2014 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, this gives you an angle. What will you do with it?

8. Nov 16, 2014 #7
    It gives me the angle of ∅2 and by extension ∅1. Because there are no other forces acting on m2 the impulse is in the same direction as the force, which also means that the momentum will be in the same direction. From there, using the conservation of momentum in both the x and y direction I can easily solve for the magnitude of each velocity.

9. Nov 16, 2014 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Indeed, too bad I am always unable to put this into practise at the pool table ... :rolleyes:
    (Although billiard ball collisions obviously are not elastic ...)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted