Elastic Collisions and Conservation of Momentum

In summary, when a 1 Kg car moving at 2m/s collides elastically with a stationary car, the first car rebounds opposite to its original direction at 1m/s and the second car moves off in the original direction of the first car. To find the mass of the second car, we use the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. Solving for the unknown mass, we get M=3 Kg. The speed of the second car is calculated to be 1 m/s.
tehjinxman

Homework Statement

A 1 Kg car moving at 2m/s collides elastically with a stationary car. The first car rebounds opposite to the original direction at 1m/s and the second car moves off in the original direction of the first car.
A) What is the mass of the 2nd car
B) What is the speed of the 2nd car

Homework Equations

P = M*V
M1V1 + M2V2 = M1V`1 + M2V`2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been beating my head against this problem for hours now. It seems like it should be incredibly easy, and simple to figure out, but I just can't make it click in my head.
So I have:
Car1-- Initial momentum = 2*1 = 2, Final momentum = -1*1 = -1
Car2-- Initial momentum = 0*M2 = 0, Final momentum = M2*v`2

Since momentum is conserved --> Car1i + Car2i = Car1f + Car2f --> 2+0 = -1 + 3
Total final momentum of Car2 is 3 in the positive direction.

(1*2) + (M2*0) = (-1*1) + (M2V`2)

Ive spent i don't know how many hours trying to use these two equations to find some equality with M2. I mean the momentum of Car 2 after the collision, clearly needs to be +3, but there are an infinite combination of numbers that multiply to 3. I feel as though i am missing something extremely simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
The collision is elastic, energy is conserved. Set up a second equation for conservation of kinetic energy.

ehild

So Ke1i = .5(1)(2^2) =2
Ke2i = 0
KeTotal = 2

Ke1f = .5(1)(-1^2) = 0.5
So Ke2f must = 1.5
KeTotal = 2

Ke1f+Ke2f = 2
.5 + (mv^2)/2 = 2
mv^2 = 3

Then compare MV = 3 and MV^2 = 3? So MV^2 = MV
Which means V must be 1m/s and M must be 3 Kg?

It is correct now ! :smile:

ehild

The mass of the second car (M2) can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation: M1V1 + M2V2 = M1V`1 + M2V`2. We know that the initial velocity of the second car is 0 m/s and the final velocity is V`2, so the equation becomes M1V1 = M1V`1 + M2V`2. Plugging in the values, we get (1 kg)(2 m/s) = (-1 kg)(1 m/s) + M2V`2. Solving for M2, we get M2 = (1 kg)(3 m/s) / V`2. Since we know that the final velocity of the second car is in the original direction of the first car, V`2 = 3 m/s. Therefore, the mass of the second car is M2 = (1 kg)(3 m/s) / 3 m/s = 1 kg.

The speed of the second car can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation as well. Since we know that the initial momentum of the second car is 0 kg m/s and the final momentum is (1 kg)(3 m/s), the equation becomes 0 = (1 kg)(3 m/s) + M2V`2. Solving for V`2, we get V`2 = -3 m/s. However, since the second car is moving in the original direction of the first car, the speed is positive and we can take the absolute value, giving us a final speed of 3 m/s for the second car.

In summary, the mass of the second car is 1 kg and the speed is 3 m/s. It is important to note that the conservation of momentum principle states that the total momentum of a system before and after a collision remains constant, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the individual momentums of the cars may change, but the total momentum remains the same. In this case, the first car experiences a change in momentum from 2 kg m/s to -1 kg m/s, while the second car experiences a change from 0 kg m/s to 3 kg m/s. This demonstrates the conservation of momentum in an elastic collision.

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that after the collision, the objects involved have the same total kinetic energy as they did before the collision.

What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that in any collision, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the momentum of each individual object is conserved. This means that the sum of the momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the sum of the momentum of the objects after the collision.

What is the equation for calculating momentum?

The equation for calculating momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of elastic collisions include: billiard balls colliding on a pool table, two bumper cars colliding, a ping pong ball bouncing off a table, and a tennis ball hitting a racket. These collisions demonstrate the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy.