* * Elastic potential energy with box going up an incline.

In summary: Ok, thank you.Just for fun, why not try calculating the maximum distance up the incline the mass will reach? (Using the given compression, spring constant, and μ.) See if that at least gives a sensible...The mass will not reach the maximum distance because the compression and spring constant will not allow it. The mass will only travel up to 0.40m above the spring before it is stopped.
Swan
*URGENT* Elastic potential energy with box going up an incline.

Homework Statement

A spring having a force constant of 240 [itex]\frac{N}{m}[/itex] is placed on a plane inclined at 67° to the horizontal. The spring is compressed 0.40 m and a 2.0 kg mass is placed on it. The coefficient of kinetic friction along the inclined surface is 0.53. Find the speed of the mass after it moves 1.3 m up the plane (above the completely extended spring).

Diagram
04.22.2012-09.05.56.png

Homework Equations

FN = m*g*cosθ
Ff = μ*FN
W = F*Δd
ET1 - Wf = ET2
Let H represent the height off the ground. Let h represent height between the boxes.

The Attempt at a Solution

V1 = 0. So initial kinetic energy is negligible.
h = (sin67°)(1.3m + 0.4m)
Wf = Ff * (1.3m + 0.4m)
Wf = 6.9J

ET1 - Wf = ET2
mgH + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]k*x2 - Wf = mg(h+H) + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mV22
mgH + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]k*x2 - Wf = mgH + mgh + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mV22
**Both mgH cancel out on each sides**
[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](240[itex]\frac{N}{m}[/itex])(0.4m)2 - 6.9J = [(2kg)(9.8m/s2)(sin67°)(1.3m + 0.4m)]+ [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](2kg)V22

I worked it out but I'm receiving an error. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Swan said:
I worked it out but I'm receiving an error. What am I doing wrong?
Looks OK to me. But that diagram is a bit ambiguous about the meaning of the 1.3 m distance. (It doesn't reference the compression and seems to imply that the total distance moved is 1.3 m.)

Doc Al said:
Looks OK to me. But that diagram is a bit ambiguous about the meaning of the 1.3 m distance. (It doesn't reference the compression and seems to imply that the total distance moved is 1.3 m.)
Firstly, thank you so much for replying quickly :).

In the question it says "(above the completely extended spring)" meaning the the box has to move 1.3m after full extension. At the moment the box is on the spring, it is compressed 0.4m and therefore total distance becomes (1.3m + 0.4m = 1.7m). This was the way I interpreted it. When I carry out the solution, it won't work because of the negative and square root result in error.

Now to work out the whole equation.

ET1 - Wf = ET2
mgH + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]k*x2 - Wf = mg(h+H) + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mV22
mgH + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]k*x2 - Wf = mgH + mgh + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mV22
**Both mgH cancel out on each sides**
[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](240[itex]\frac{N}{m}[/itex])(0.4m)2 - 6.9J = [(2kg)(9.8m/s2)(sin67°)(1.3m + 0.4m)]+ [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](2kg)V22
12.3J = 30.67J + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](2kg)V2
-18.39J = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](2kg)V2

Resulting in error.

Swan said:
In the question it says "(above the completely extended spring)" meaning the the box has to move 1.3m after full extension. At the moment the box is on the spring, it is compressed 0.4m and therefore total distance becomes (1.3m + 0.4m = 1.7m). This was the way I interpreted it.
I understand.
When I carry out the solution, it won't work because of the negative and square root result in error.
Yes. Obviously the data is bogus, given that interpretation of the problem. Try solving it where 1.3 m is the total distance traveled up the ramp. (See if that at least presents possible data.)

Doc Al said:
I understand.

Yes. Obviously the data is bogus, given that interpretation of the problem. Try solving it where 1.3 m is the total distance traveled up the ramp. (See if that at least presents possible data.)

I tried it. It still yields a negative which will result in a error through square root. Is there any error in the derivation of my equation?

Swan said:
I tried it. It still yields a negative which will result in a error through square root.
Yep.
Is there any error in the derivation of my equation?
No. Looks like the problem is bogus.

What book is it from?

Doc Al said:
Yep.

No. Looks like the problem is bogus.

What book is it from?

Its from the Nelson Physics 12 but I think the question was modified by the teacher.

Swan said:
Its from the Nelson Physics 12 but I think the question was modified by the teacher.
Hmm... how is the problem stated in the book? Perhaps your teacher made an error when modifying it.

Doc Al said:
Hmm... how is the problem stated in the book? Perhaps your teacher made an error when modifying it.

The original question with different values was going down the incline in which all worked out. But then when teacher modified when making it go up the incline, I'm getting an error.

Swan said:
The original question with different values was going down the incline in which all worked out. But then when teacher modified when making it go up the incline, I'm getting an error.
Yes. The modified problem statement is bogus. The data represents a physically impossible situation.

Doc Al said:
Yes. The modified problem statement is bogus. The data represents a physically impossible situation.

Ok, thank you.

Just for fun, why not try calculating the maximum distance up the incline the mass will reach? (Using the given compression, spring constant, and μ.) See if that at least gives a sensible answer.

Doc Al said:
Just for fun, why not try calculating the maximum distance up the incline the mass will reach? (Using the given compression, spring constant, and μ.) See if that at least gives a sensible answer.

I would let the system have 0 kinetic energy at the top to reach its max height.

Swan said:
I would let the system have 0 kinetic energy at the top to reach its max height.
Sure.

What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed.

How is elastic potential energy calculated?

Elastic potential energy is calculated using the formula PE = ½kx², where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the object.

How does a box going up an incline affect elastic potential energy?

As the box moves up the incline, the distance it is stretched or compressed changes, thus altering the amount of elastic potential energy stored in the object.

What factors affect the amount of elastic potential energy in a box going up an incline?

The amount of elastic potential energy in a box going up an incline is affected by the mass of the object, the incline angle, the spring constant, and the displacement of the object.

Can elastic potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, elastic potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, when the object is released from the incline and moves back to its original position.