Electric potential energy of a pair of point charges

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Xenocite
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I did all I can, and I'm stressed out over this. Thus, here I am. :(

Here's the question (I substitute the numbers with alphabet letters):

>Two point charges of magnitude of A nC and -B nC are separated by D m distance.
>The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. The Coulomb constant, k, is 9x10^9 N*m^2/C^2.
>What is the potential energy of the PAIR of charges? Answer in units of J.

So, what I did was find the potential difference, V, between the 2 charges, q1 and q2, at their respective points which has the distance of D using the equation:

V1 = (k*q1)/D
V2 = (k*q2)/D

Then find the electric potential energy(EPE) for each charge with the equation:

EPE1 = V1 * q2
EPE2 = V2 * q1

*(EPE1 and EPE2 are basically the same number)

And the total potential energy of the 2 charges is:

EPE(net) = EPE1 + EPE2

Answer is negative because q2 is -B which has negative value x 10^-9

If anyone spot any error or have any idea of what I did wrong, please do tell. Perhaps, I missed a step of taking acceleration of gravity into account somewhere? Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have calculated the electrical potential energy, but what about gravitational potential energy?
 
I've just now received an email from my professor that this problem was canceled due to computer grading error. I believe what I did as correct though. Thanks for all the help :)