1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential of three concentric spheres

1. Mar 25, 2012 #1
    Hey, i have a conceptual doubt.

Suppose there are three concentric conducting spheres A,B,C having radius a,b,c (a<b<c).

We put charge q1, q2 and q3 on these three surfaces A,B,C respectively.

Now using gauss law, we can prove that

Charge on inner surface of A is 0

Charge on outer surface of A is q1.

Charge on inner surface of B is -q1

Charge on outer surface of B is q2+q1

Charge on inner surface of C is -q2-q1

Charge on outer surface of C is q1+q2+q3.

Now this is because electric field and therefore flux inside a conductor should be 0.

Now my text book asks me to find the Potential at A and B (considering potential at infinity is 0)

Now what I wanted to do is that since the field inside the conductor is 0 everywhere, the potential should be constant everywhere inside and therefore be equal to the potential at surface C
    which is
    k(q1+q2+q3)/c.
    So this should be potential at A and B

However in the answer the potential at B is given as

k[q1/b +q2/b+q3/c]

And at A is given as k(q1/a+q2/b+q3/c).

i.e they have now considered the three sphere alone in calculating potential.

Is the text books solution right?

Where am I going wrong?

If the text book's solution is right, then isn't the potential not constant inside the sphere C, implying a non-zero electric field

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The difficulty comes from what is meant by the word "inside". Inside refers to a location within the conducting material itself. It does not refer to every point interior to the outer surface of the sphere or spheres.

I assume that these conducting spheres are spherical shells which have a very small thickness, a thickness so small that it may be ignored when compared to the radius of each spherical shell. However, to be a physically feasible problem, the spheres must truly have a finite thickness.

4. Mar 25, 2012 #3
    No.The figure clearly shows these are three concentric solid conducting spheres.(not shells). That is all three are virtually in contact.

I in fact fail to get why there would be any charge on sphere A and B.It should all move to the surface C and reside there.

However, those are the exact lines stated in my book.

I think it's wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook