Electric Potential: Find x for Zero Net Electric Potential

In summary, the problem involves calculating the finite positive and negative values of x where the net electric potential on the x-axis is zero, given the charges q1=+5e and q2=-15e fixed at the origin with a separation of d=0.24m. The points where the electric fields from the charges cancel each other out are the only two points where the net electric potential is zero. We can consider x>d but the field of q2 is always stronger in that region, making it impossible for the fields to cancel each other out. The concept of electric fields is more intuitive in understanding why there are only two points where the potential is zero.
Air

Homework Statement

Particles of the charges q1=+5e (at origin) and q2=-15e are fixed in place with a separation of d=0.24m. With V=0 at infinity, what are the finite (a) positive and (b) negative values of x at which the net electric potential on the x-axis is zero?

Homework Equations

E=Kq/r

3. The problem I encounter
I can get the answer but I don't understand the position considered. Where do I consider my x value to be? Why don't we consider x to be greater than d? Why do we only consider for 0<x<d or x<d?

Physics news on Phys.org
x is the point where the electric fields from the charges cancel each other out. There are only two such points. You can consider x>d if you like but you won't find a point where the fields cancel each other because the field of q2 is always stronger in that region.

But we are considering potential. Do we understand through electric field then use the equation of potential?

Well, the only difference in the formula for the field is the power of r so qualitatively it's the same. In the region x>d the magnitude of q2 potential is always greater than that of q1. I just thought fields are more intuitive and illustrate better why there are only two points.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of a point charge in an electric field, relative to a reference point.

2. How is electric potential calculated?

The electric potential at a point is calculated by dividing the work done by the electric field on a unit charge to move it from an infinite distance to that point.

3. What does it mean to find x for zero net electric potential?

Finding x for zero net electric potential means determining the distance from a point charge where the electric potential is equal to zero, resulting in no net force on a test charge placed at that point.

4. What factors affect the electric potential at a point?

The electric potential at a point is affected by the distance from the source charge, the magnitude of the source charge, and the presence of any other charges in the surrounding area.

5. How is electric potential related to electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that a charge possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is directly related to electric potential, as a change in electric potential results in a change in electric potential energy.