1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical potential of charged sphere

1. May 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two charged metal spheres are connected by a wire. Sphere A is larger than sphere B. The magnitude of the electrical potential of A...

a) is greater than at the surface of sphere B
    b) is less than at the surface of sphere B
    c) is the same as that at the surface of sphere B

3. The attempt at a solution

Electric potential: V = q/(4*pi*e0*r)

Since the spheres are connected by a wire, their charge will be equal. We regard the charges at the spheres as point charges in the centers of the spheres. Then the magnitude of the electrical potential of A is less than at the surface of B since rA > rB

Why am I wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know how to say this without giving the whole thing away, but do you really think that if I connect a huge sphere with a lot of charge (like the earth) to a small sphere (like a steel marble) that they will they will split the charge equally? Something will be equal between the two spheres, but it won't be charge.

4. May 23, 2008 #3
    So c) is the correct answer. How can this be explained?

5. May 23, 2008 #4
    The potential on the surface must be constant, otherwise there would exist tangential field E that moves the charges until equipotential is reached.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?