Electrodynamics: Conducting sphere of radius R cut in half

In summary, we have a conducting sphere that has been cut in half to form a gap with a small distance between the two halves. One half is charged with q and the other half is uncharged. We are asked to find the charge density σ(r) on the planar face of the first half-sphere, where s << R. We can assume that all four σ's are uniform and neglect edge effects. We can express σ2, σ3, and σ4 in terms of σ1, and using Gauss' law, we can show that the electric field in the gap is equal to σ/εo.
Delta2 said:
Given that s<<R we can make the approximation that all σiσi will be constant throughout their respective domains. Also that the two spherical caps each carry charge +Q/2 since the whole system is very similar to an uncut sphere (because s<<R). This leaves that the flat face of the upper hemisphere (to which we put total charge +Q) has charge +Q/2 and the flat face of the lower hemisphere has charge -Q/2. Again because s<<R the electric field due to the charges on the flat surfaces will be zero in the space that is not in-between the flat surfaces. The electric field in-between the flat surfaces will be that of a parallel plate capacitor with charge Q/2 and -Q/2 in each plate.
I think with the guide of @TSny the problem has been solved, you just haven't realized it :D.
Conductors have always spun me in circles intuitively. So, |Egap|=|σ1|/εo=|σ2|/εo, if I'm correct. This could be concluded using the boundary condition that ΔE=σ/εo when crossing a surface, or by using Gauss' Law.

Also, σ1=Qeff/A=(1/2)Q/(πR2).

Physics news on Phys.org
Tyler DeFrancesco said:
Conductors have always spun me in circles intuitively. So, |Egap|=|σ1|/εo=|σ2|/εo, if I'm correct.
Yes and ##\sigma_1=?##

Delta2 said:
Yes and ##\sigma_1=?##
Tyler DeFrancesco said:
Also, σ1=Qeff/A=(1/2)Q/(πR2).

Yes correct. This problem is one of those problems that you got to understand which approximations to make and then the solution reveals itself.

If you can't understand what approximations to make, then the only thing that saves you is to use a numerical solver for PDEs to solve Poisson's equation with boundary conditions..

Delta2 said:
Yes correct.
Awesome. Thank a lot for the help, the both of you. Electromagnetism has always been more painful for me than any other field of physics so far in my education. Even quantum 1 (with Griffiths) isn't as perturbing.

The final question is to find the potential difference between the hemispheres. V should be constant everywhere but the gap. Since s<<R, can I integrate the entire thing as a spherical shell? If so, I reckon I would get a difference of zero, since V would be constant and equal everywhere on the surface if we neglect the gap entirely.

Tyler DeFrancesco said:
Awesome. Thank a lot for the help, the both of you. Electromagnetism has always been more painful for me than any other field of physics so far in my education. Even quantum 1 (with Griffiths) isn't as perturbing.
You are welcome ! :D
The final question is to find the potential difference between the hemispheres. V should be constant everywhere but the gap. Since s<<R, can I integrate the entire thing as a spherical shell? If so, I reckon I would get a difference of zero, since V would be constant and equal everywhere on the surface if we neglect the gap entirely.
No you are not doing the proper approximation with this reasoning.

Each hemisphere is a conductor in static equilibrium so it has a constant V through out its surface. The potential on the upper spherical cap is the same as the potential of the upper flat surface, and the potential of the lower spherical cap is the same as that of the lower flat surface (though they carry opposite charges). But each hemisphere has different V. The potential difference between the hemispheres is the potential difference of the parallel plate capacitor formed in the gap.

Delta2 said:
You are welcome ! :D
No you are not doing the proper approximation with this reasoning.

Each hemisphere is a conductor in static equilibrium so it has a constant V through out its surface. The potential on the upper spherical cap is the same as the potential of the upper flat surface, and the potential of the lower spherical cap is the same as that of the lower flat surface (though they carry opposite charges). But each hemisphere has different V. The potential difference between the hemispheres is the potential difference of the parallel plate capacitor formed in the gap.
Right, that's about where I am. Would integrating ∫ρ dv across the gap (as a 3D disc using cylindrical coordinates) work? I would find volume charge of the space by using Gauss Law in differential form.

If that is no good, I assume the line integral would be the next place to go (E dot dl). In that case, would my path of integration simply be a line from the upper to the lower hemisphere? Something seems odd about me taking a line integral over a 3D field (although it is uniformly in one direction).

The line integral is telling me ΔV=Es (since E has no s dependence and is uniform and parallel to s at all points along path). This result makes sense, I suppose - the suggested proportionality, at least.

yes well sorry its not exactly a parallel plate capacitor its a capacitor of two parallel circular disks, but the formula for the electric field in between remains as we said at post #36.
You just have to integrate the electric field over the gap s, to find the potential difference (instead of doing it the hard way and integrate ##\frac{\rho(r')}{|r-r'|}dV'## and I don't know if this is possible because here we have surface charge densities not volume charge densities).

Delta2 said:
yes well sorry its not exactly a parallel plate capacitor its a capacitor of two parallel circular disks, but the formula for the electric field in between remains as we said at post #36.
You just have to integrate the electric field over the gap s, to find the potential difference (instead of doing it the hard way and integrate ##\frac{\rho(r')}{|r-r'|}dV'## and I don't know if this is possible because here we have surface charge densities not volume charge densities).
I'm not exactly sure how that might be done based on what you've said.

Tyler DeFrancesco said:
I'm not exactly sure how that might be done based on what you've said.
you have the electric field ##E=\frac{\sigma_1}{\epsilon_0}##. Isn't it straightforward to integrate and compute ##V=\int_0^s E\cdot dl##

Delta2 said:
you have the electric field ##E=\frac{\sigma_1}{\epsilon_0}##. Isn't it straightforward to integrate and compute ##V=\int_0^s E\cdot dl##
Yes, it came out to be V=Es, as I mentioned in post #42, should I choose dl to run along s. This is clear even beforehand, as E is not dependent on s, right?
Substituting in E=q/2πεoR2 gives the full answer, obviously (if that's the extra information you were asking for.

Tyler DeFrancesco said:
Yes, it came out to be V=Es, as I mentioned in post #42 should I choose dl to run along s. This is clear even beforehand, as E is not dependent on s, right?
Substituting in E=q/2πεoR2 gives the full answer, obviously (if that's the extra information you were asking for.
yes I guess you were editing post #42 cause it initially was much shorter.
So yes I believe the potential difference is ##V=\frac{Qs}{2\pi\epsilon_0R^2}##

Delta2 said:
yes I guess you were editing post #42 cause it initially was much shorter.
So yes I believe the potential difference is ##V=\frac{Qs}{2\pi\epsilon_0R^2}##
Ah. Thank you for the clarification, and again for the overall help on the problem. At least in classical mechanics, there are still limiting cases that I could check for consistency. In electromagnetism, much of the time I feel as if I cannot even make sense of the limiting cases themselves as they are not always intuitive in the same sense. In my current bracket of quantum, everything is obviously so mathematical and statistical that the physical analogue is not needed for many cases thus far, and the class is a little less second-guessy all the time.

Tyler DeFrancesco said:
Ah. Thank you for the clarification, and again for the overall help on the problem. At least in classical mechanics, there are still limiting cases that I could check for consistency. In electromagnetism, much of the time I feel as if I cannot even make sense of the limiting cases themselves as they are not always intuitive in the same sense. In my current bracket of quantum, everything is obviously so mathematical and statistical that the physical analogue is not needed for many cases thus far, and the class is a little less second-guessy all the time.
Yes well , this problem with the limit of s<<R makes things a bit unclear on what are the proper approximations to make. Also things appeared to become a bit contradictory in the course of events as we say that the system is similar to an uncut sphere (which has the same potential in the two hemispheres) but then we say there is a potential difference between the hemispheres. But if s is small compared to R then the potential difference which we found to be proportional to ##\frac{s}{R^2}## will also be small, and the system is indeed similar to an uncut sphere.

Delta2 said:
Yes well , this problem with the limit of s<<R makes things a bit unclear on what are the proper approximations to make. Also things appeared to become a bit contradictory in the course of events as we say that the system is similar to an uncut sphere (which has the same potential in the two hemispheres) but then we say there is a potential difference between the hemispheres. But if s is small compared to R then the potential difference which we found to be proportional to ##\frac{s}{R^2}## will also be small, and the system is indeed similar to an uncut sphere.
The final result's consistency with the seemingly-contradictory assumptions we've made is a good point, thank you for pointing that out.

Likes Delta2