Electrical Safety - Shocks - Model Answer?

In summary, the conversation is about designing a convector heater with a metal body and implementing safety measures to prevent electric shock for users. For the design, connecting an Earth wire to the metal casing and insulating live components are mentioned. Additionally, the importance of following safety standards, such as UL standards, is emphasized. The effects of electric current on the human body, including painful shock, muscle contraction, lung paralysis, and heart dysfunction, are also discussed. It is suggested to refer to safety standards for more information and to incorporate them into the design.
Chantry09

Homework Statement

a) You have been asked to design a convector heater (electric radiator) which has a metal body. Detail an appropriate method of preventing electric shock for users of this product, and show how such a protection strategy could be implemented in your design. (15)

b) Describe the effects of electric current on the human body. (5)

2. The attempt at a solution

For part A would i just mention about connecting the Earth wire to the metal casing and describe how the Earth wire stops the user from getting a shock? I could also talk about insulating the live components so that the user isn't able to easily touch them. Is there anything else i should be talking about? Its 15 marks so i think i need more.

For part B what five things should i be mentioning? I found this on the internet, if i put this in the exam do you think that would be enough?:

More than 3 ma painful shock

More than 10 ma muscle contraction 'no-let-go' danger

More than 30 ma lung paralysis- usually temporary

More than 50 ma possible ventricular fob. (heart dysfunction, usually fatal)

100 ma to 4 amps certain ventricular fibrillation, fatal

Physics news on Phys.org
You might also look at some of the UL standards (or CSA or whatever your home country). A heater like this would have to meet one or more of those standards in order to be sold. There are some fairly simple things about insulation, creepage distances, finger penetration, etc.

Thank you for the reply. The question is worth 15 marks through, despite what i already know and what you have told me do you really think that will be enough?

If you simply rewrite what I told you, that will not be enough. If you actually look at the standards I suggested and follow those in a design, it should suffice. Do you have a design yet? Can you share it?

Ill find the design tomorrow in the exam but it will be to late then :P.

Should i just look up what these safety standards entail then?

1. What is electrical safety?

Electrical safety refers to the practices and measures taken to prevent accidents and injuries caused by electricity. This includes proper handling of electrical equipment, following safety protocols and regulations, and being aware of potential hazards.

2. What are the common causes of electrical shocks?

Electrical shocks can be caused by coming into contact with exposed wires, faulty or damaged electrical equipment, and improper use of electrical devices. Poor wiring, overloading circuits, and water contact can also lead to electrical shocks.

3. How can I protect myself from electrical shocks?

To protect yourself from electrical shocks, always follow safety guidelines and regulations when handling electrical equipment. Avoid touching exposed wires, and use insulated tools when working with electricity. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain electrical systems and equipment.

4. What should I do if someone gets an electrical shock?

If someone gets an electrical shock, do not touch them. Turn off the power source if possible, and call for medical help immediately. If you are trained in CPR, you may attempt to perform it until medical professionals arrive.

5. What are some common electrical safety precautions in the workplace?

In the workplace, it is important to follow safety protocols and regulations when working with electrical equipment. This includes using insulated tools, wearing protective gear, and regularly inspecting and maintaining electrical systems. It is also crucial to receive proper training and to never attempt to fix electrical issues without proper knowledge and experience.