1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Electrochemisry] How to find the Cathode and Anode, and oxidation and reduction

1. Jan 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is from a lab question, but i think i did it right, i would just like some confirmation. I had to make an electochmical cell for a lab, (actually mutiple ones) but it asks me to find the anode, cathode, and which chemical underwent oxidation and reduction. If you have a solution of Cu(NO3)2 with a copper strip in that solution, and another beaker with a solution of Pb(NO3)2, and a lead strip inside that solution with a salt bridge of KNO3 connecting them, then identify the cathode, anode, and the chemicals that underwent oxidation, and reduction.

2. Relevant equations
    I used the Gr 12 Data booklet that has the Standard Reduction Potentials of Half Cells table in it.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I said that the copper was the anode and it underwent oxidation and the lead was the cathode and it underwent reduction.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2009 #2
    Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!
  4. Jan 13, 2009 #3

Staff: Mentor

Simple reactivity series tells that you must be wrong.
  5. Jan 13, 2009 #4
    ok i got the right answer now thanks a lot!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?