Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: [Electrochemisry] How to find the Cathode and Anode, and oxidation and reduction

1. Jan 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is from a lab question, but i think i did it right, i would just like some confirmation. I had to make an electochmical cell for a lab, (actually mutiple ones) but it asks me to find the anode, cathode, and which chemical underwent oxidation and reduction. If you have a solution of Cu(NO3)2 with a copper strip in that solution, and another beaker with a solution of Pb(NO3)2, and a lead strip inside that solution with a salt bridge of KNO3 connecting them, then identify the cathode, anode, and the chemicals that underwent oxidation, and reduction.

2. Relevant equations
    I used the Gr 12 Data booklet that has the Standard Reduction Potentials of Half Cells table in it.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I said that the copper was the anode and it underwent oxidation and the lead was the cathode and it underwent reduction.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2009 #2
    Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!

4. Jan 13, 2009 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Simple reactivity series tells that you must be wrong.

5. Jan 13, 2009 #4
    ok i got the right answer now thanks a lot!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook