[Electrochemisry] How to find the Cathode and Anode, and oxidation and reduction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
link2110
Messages
47
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


This is from a lab question, but i think i did it right, i would just like some confirmation. I had to make an electochmical cell for a lab, (actually mutiple ones) but it asks me to find the anode, cathode, and which chemical underwent oxidation and reduction. If you have a solution of Cu(NO3)2 with a copper strip in that solution, and another beaker with a solution of Pb(NO3)2, and a lead strip inside that solution with a salt bridge of KNO3 connecting them, then identify the cathode, anode, and the chemicals that underwent oxidation, and reduction.


Homework Equations


I used the Gr 12 Data booklet that has the Standard Reduction Potentials of Half Cells table in it.


The Attempt at a Solution


I said that the copper was the anode and it underwent oxidation and the lead was the cathode and it underwent reduction.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org