Electrochemistry homework help problem

In summary, the Tl+/Tl couple can be prepared by saturating 0.100 M KBr with TlBr and allowing Tl+ ions to equilibrate. The couple has a potential of -0.443V with respect to the Pb2+/Pb couple. Given EoPb2+/Pb = -0.126V and EoTl+/Tl= -0.336V, the Ksp of TlBr can be calculated using the cell potential and assuming Br- concentration is 0.1M. The calculated value is 1.124 x 10-5, which may differ from the value in tables due to ionic strength not being taken into account.
zorro

Homework Statement

Tl+/Tl couple can be prepared by saturating 0.100 M KBr with TlBr and alowing Tl+ ions from the insoluble bromide to equilibrate. This couple was observed to have a potential of -0.443V w.r.t Pb2+/Pb couple in which Pb2+ was 1 M. Ksp of TlBr is ?

Given: EoPb2+/Pb = -0.126V and EoTl+/Tl= -0.336V

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a problem understanding the question. Can somebody explain me?

Physics news on Phys.org

You have a cell made of two half cells - one is Pb/Pb2+, the other Tl/Tl+. You are given everything but [Tl+], and that's the only thing you need to calculate to find Ksp of TlBr.

The potential -0.443V given in the question confuses me. It simply means that the cell reaction is not spontaneous. Which one is cathode and which one is anode?

We have Ecell = -0.443V and Eocell = -0.21 (if we assume Tl+/Tl is the cathode)

Is this right?

To be honest - I am not sure which way it goes off the top of my head, but if you take the sign wrong, you will get absurd results.

You will need E0 for Pb/Pb2+ as well.

Cathode- Tl+ + e ----> Tl
Anode- Pb------> Pb2+ + 2e

Ecell = Eocell - 0.059/2*log[Pb2+/[Tl+]2]

We have Pb2+=1M
What is the use of 0.1M KBr?

E0 for Pb/Pb2+ is given in the question.

Abdul Quadeer said:
What is the use of 0.1M KBr?

Have you read the question?

I read it but did not understand fully.
Br- concentration is 0.1M

Let us assume that Tl+ produced from TlBr is x moles
Ksp = x(0.1+x)

How to find 'x'?

Abdul Quadeer said:
Br- concentration is 0.1M

Right.

Let us assume that Tl+ produced from TlBr is x moles
Ksp = x(0.1+x)

How to find 'x'?

From the cell potential. It will be so low you can easily ignore x in 0.1+x part.

Borek said:
From the cell potential. It will be so low you can easily ignore x in 0.1+x part.

Plugging the values in the equation in my post #5, I got x as 1.124 x 10-4
So Ksp = 1.124 x 10-5. This is not the correct answer.

Thallium chemistry.

Prof. is showing off? :biggrin:

Last edited:

epenguin said:
Thallium chemistry.

Prof. is showing off?

:biggrin:

@Borek- where is the mistake?

Your Ksp looks OK to me, unless you are expected to take ionic strength of the solution into account.

I just have the answer for it.
3.6 x 10-6
There is a big difference.
I think the answer given is incorrect.

Last edited:

No my fault. I know answer calculated is different from the Ksp value from tables, but as far as I can tell data given yields 1.12e-5.

1. What is electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of chemical reactions involving electricity. It involves the transfer of electrons between molecules and the conversion of chemical energy into electrical energy.

2. What is an electrochemistry homework help problem?

An electrochemistry homework help problem is a question or exercise that involves the application of electrochemical principles and concepts in solving a problem. It may require the use of equations, calculations, and experimental data to find a solution.

3. How can I solve an electrochemistry homework help problem?

To solve an electrochemistry homework help problem, you should first understand the basic concepts and principles of electrochemistry. Then, carefully read and analyze the problem to determine the relevant information and variables. Finally, apply the appropriate equations and calculations to find a solution.

4. What are some common topics covered in electrochemistry homework help problems?

Some common topics covered in electrochemistry homework help problems include redox reactions, electrochemical cells, electrolysis, Faraday's laws, and electrochemical equilibrium. Other topics may include corrosion, batteries, and fuel cells.

5. Can I get electrochemistry homework help online?

Yes, there are many online resources available for electrochemistry homework help. You can find educational websites, forums, and tutoring services that offer explanations, practice problems, and solutions for various electrochemistry topics. Additionally, your teacher or professor may also provide online resources or virtual office hours for assistance.