1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrolysis in Cu/Hg electrolytic cell

1. Oct 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

What is the ratio of number of moles of copper deposited to the number of moles of mercury deposited? {n(Cu):n(Hg)}

2. The attempt at a solution

Well the species present are;
    [tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    Cu^{2 + } /SO_4 ^{2 - } \;ions \\
    Hg_2 ^{2 + } /NO_3 ^ - \;ions \\
    and\;H_2 O \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

so reading down the Eo table from left to right; the first species found is [tex]Cu^{2 + }[/tex] ions.
    So at the cathode we have; [tex]Cu^{2 + } + 2e^ - \to Cu[/tex]

Now reading up the Eo table from right to left; the first species found is [tex]Hg_2 ^{2 + }[/tex]
    So I would assume that at the anode we have; [tex]Hg_2 ^{2 + } \to 2Hg^{2 + } + 2e^ - [/tex]

Now the question states that it is the ratio of copper to mercury produced. How can this be?
    Do I just assume that the mercury ions are now further electrolysed to mercury by;
    [tex]Hg^{2 + } + 2e^ - \to Hg_{(l)}[/tex]

Could someone please explain how this works and what rules I am supposed to be following as I am a little confused ...

cheers
    Steven

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2
    Anybody

- sorry I have an exam Friday :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?