Electrolyzing steel plates to produce iron oxide in batches

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
eightbitbeast
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I want to make some iron oxide from plate steel i have a couple hundred pounds that I can process but want to make about 50 pounds id prefer to just do it by electrolysis. Do to safety issues I would prefer to process it in 2 pound batches in a polyurethane tub. I would also like to save the hydrogen gas I am mainly curious if this process is the most efficent or safest.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you were to grind your steel into granules or powder you would get a result more quickly.
Add additional oxygen if you want to speed things up even more,add some some hydrogen peroxide.
I don't think that would get into danger territory but you might want to check that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: eightbitbeast
Thank you ill look into that i have plenty of power tools i can use