Electromagnetic Field Theory by Bo Thide

In summary, "Electromagnetic Field Theory" by Bo Thide is a free book that is shorter than Jackson's book, but still professionally laid out with helpful figures. It comes with an exercise book and is available for free download under a restrictive license. However, there have been some concerns about the author's inconsistent notation and skipping of steps in one chapter. This book also showcases the application of Orbital Angular Momentum encoding to radio waves, which was pioneered by Thide.

For those who have used this book

• Strongly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly Recommend

• Strongly don't Recommend

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a free book that seems to be aimed at the same audience as Jackson, but it's only about 1/3 the length. The layout is very professional looking, and there are quite a few figures. There is an accompanying book of exercises. The book is freely downloadable under a restrictive license.

I helped someone recently on PF who was confused--rightfully--because Thide was skipping steps and using inconsistent notation in one chapter. Yes it's free, but I would steer students to a better book based on this limited exposure.

Last edited:
As a side note, Thidè is one of the researchers who demonstrated the application of Orbital Angular Momentun encoding to radio waves.
Link to the freely downloadable PDF : http://arxiv.org/abs/1101.6015
(I once had the link to the html version, but I can no longer locate it)

As a fellow scientist, I am pleased to see that Bo Thide has published a comprehensive book on Electromagnetic Field Theory. This field is crucial in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and their interaction with matter. I appreciate the effort put into compiling this book and making it available for download.

I have gone through the contents and I must say that it covers all the necessary topics, from the basic principles to advanced theories. The inclusion of prerequisite knowledge is also helpful for readers to fully understand the concepts presented in the book.

Electromagnetic Field Theory is a fundamental subject in many scientific disciplines, including physics, engineering, and telecommunications. This book will be a valuable resource for students and researchers alike. The detailed explanations and examples provided make it a great reference for those seeking a deeper understanding of the subject.

I would like to thank Bo Thide for sharing his knowledge and expertise in this field through this book. I am sure it will be a valuable addition to the existing literature on Electromagnetic Field Theory. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in this fascinating area of study.

1. What is the main focus of "Electromagnetic Field Theory by Bo Thide"?

The main focus of "Electromagnetic Field Theory by Bo Thide" is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles and mathematical equations governing electromagnetic fields.

2. Who is Bo Thide and what are his qualifications?

Bo Thide is a Swedish physicist and professor at the Swedish Institute of Space Physics. He has a PhD in Radio and Space Science from Chalmers University of Technology and has conducted extensive research in the field of electromagnetic fields.

3. What are some practical applications of electromagnetic field theory?

Electromagnetic field theory is essential for understanding and developing technologies such as wireless communication, radar systems, and medical imaging. It also plays a crucial role in the study of astronomy and space physics.

4. Is this book suitable for beginners in the field of electromagnetic field theory?

While the book covers advanced topics, it is also suitable for beginners as it starts with the basic principles and gradually builds upon them. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to aid in understanding.

5. Are there any real-world examples or case studies included in the book?

Yes, "Electromagnetic Field Theory by Bo Thide" includes numerous real-world examples and case studies to demonstrate the practical applications of the theory. These examples are drawn from various fields such as telecommunications, space science, and engineering.