1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Electromagnetic Field Theory by Bo Thide

1. Strongly Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lightly Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lightly don't Recommend

100.0%
  4. Strongly don't Recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jan 20, 2013 #1

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2013 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a free book that seems to be aimed at the same audience as Jackson, but it's only about 1/3 the length. The layout is very professional looking, and there are quite a few figures. There is an accompanying book of exercises. The book is freely downloadable under a restrictive license.

4. Jan 23, 2013 #3

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I helped someone recently on PF who was confused--rightfully--because Thide was skipping steps and using inconsistent notation in one chapter. Yes it's free, but I would steer students to a better book based on this limited exposure.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  5. Sep 7, 2013 #4
    As a side note, Thidè is one of the researchers who demonstrated the application of Orbital Angular Momentun encoding to radio waves.
    Link to the freely downloadable PDF : http://arxiv.org/abs/1101.6015
    (I once had the link to the html version, but I can no longer locate it)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted