Textbook on crystal field theory and degeneracy breaking

In summary, the individual is looking for a resource that explains the relationship between group theory, crystal field symmetries, and the breaking of degeneracies of orbitals. They have taken graduate courses in condensed matter and quantum mechanics and have some basic knowledge of group theory. They are open to recommendations for a book, but are also aware that the basics can be found in most inorganic chemistry books, with Albert Cotton's "Chemical Applications of Group Theory" being a more in-depth option.
vancouver_water
In particular I would like to have a resource for the relation between group theory, crystal field symmetries and breaking of degeneracies of orbitals.

I've taken a graduate condensed matter course and graduate quantum mechanics courses. I have some basic knowledge of group theory but can learn what I need if the book has more group theory pre requisites.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don’t know if you need a whole book on it. The basics can be found in pretty much any decent inorganic chemistry book. Albert Cotton’s “Chemical Applications of Group Theory” goes into somewhat more depth.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.

1. What is crystal field theory?

Crystal field theory is a model used to explain the electronic structure and properties of transition metal complexes. It describes the interactions between the positively charged metal ion and the negatively charged ligands surrounding it.

2. How does crystal field theory explain degeneracy breaking?

Crystal field theory explains degeneracy breaking as the splitting of degenerate energy levels in transition metal complexes due to the presence of ligands. This splitting is caused by the repulsion between the electrons in the metal ion and the electrons in the ligands.

3. What are the main assumptions of crystal field theory?

The main assumptions of crystal field theory are: 1) the metal ion is a point charge, 2) the ligands are point charges, 3) the ligands approach the metal ion along the coordinate axes, and 4) there is no covalent bonding between the metal ion and the ligands.

4. What is the difference between low and high spin complexes?

In low spin complexes, the ligands cause a small energy difference between the d-orbitals, resulting in a low spin state where the electrons occupy the lower energy orbitals first. In high spin complexes, the ligands cause a larger energy difference between the d-orbitals, allowing for more electrons to occupy the higher energy orbitals, resulting in a high spin state.

5. How is crystal field theory used in real-world applications?

Crystal field theory is used in various fields such as chemistry, materials science, and biochemistry to understand and predict the electronic and magnetic properties of transition metal complexes. It is also used in the design and synthesis of new materials with specific properties, such as catalysts for industrial processes and drugs for medical treatments.