Looking for book about relativistic classical field theory

In summary, the conversation discusses different books for learning relativistic classical field theory. The participants mention that Goldstein's 3rd edition is not recommended due to errors and inconsistencies. Landau and Lifshitz's vol. 1 is suggested as a good introduction, along with other books such as Soper's "Classical field theory" and Burgess' "Classical covariant fields." The conversation also mentions the availability of some books for free.
StenEdeback
Hi,

I am trying to learn relativistic classical field theory as a preparation for studying quantum field theory.
I am currently reading chapter 13 i Herbert Goldstein's Classical Mechanics edition 3, but I think that this book is a bit too brief and does not fully derive and explain the formulas.
I would be grateful for advice.Sten E

Physics news on Phys.org
Landau-Lifshitz's classical theory of fields is a classic, though I do not know if it is good for introduction to quantum field.

• Love
Likes mpresic3, StenEdeback, malawi_glenn and 1 other person
Don't use "Goldstein" 3rd edition. It's a distortion of the original 2nd edition making it worse, containing several mistakes (wrong treatment of anholonomous constraints using the Hamilton principle of least action contradicting the correct results from the treatment using d'Alembert's principle without even mentioning that there's a difference) and inconsistencies (switching the sign convention of the metric from one section to another). Concerning relativity the 2nd edition cannot be unanimously recommended, because it uses the old-fashioned ##\mathrm{i} c t## (pseudo-Euclidean) convention.

Indeed, I think the best book as an introduction to relativistic classical field theory (electrodynamics and general relativity) is Landau and Lifshitz vol. 1. Relativistic hydro is sketched quite well in vol. 6.

A somewhat unusual introduction, but precisely because of this alternative approach a gem:

D. E. Soper, Classical field theory, Dover Publications, Minneola, New York (2008).

Likes Demystifier, StenEdeback and malawi_glenn
anuttarasammyak said:
Landau-Lifshitz's classical theory of fields is a classic, though I do not know if it is good for introduction to quantum field.
Thank you anuttarasammyak!

vanhees71 said:
Don't use "Goldstein" 3rd edition. It's a distortion of the original 2nd edition making it worse, containing several mistakes (wrong treatment of anholonomous constraints using the Hamilton principle of least action contradicting the correct results from the treatment using d'Alembert's principle without even mentioning that there's a difference) and inconsistencies (switching the sign convention of the metric from one section to another). Concerning relativity the 2nd edition cannot be unanimously recommended, because it uses the old-fashioned ##\mathrm{i} c t## (pseudo-Euclidean) convention.

Indeed, I think the best book as an introduction to relativistic classical field theory (electrodynamics and general relativity) is Landau and Lifshitz vol. 1. Relativistic hydro is sketched quite well in vol. 6.

A somewhat unusual introduction, but precisely because of this alternative approach a gem:

D. E. Soper, Classical field theory, Dover Publications, Minneola, New York (2008).
Thank you vanhees71!

vanhees71 said:
Don't use "Goldstein" 3rd edition. It's a distortion of the original 2nd edition making it worse, containing several mistakes (wrong treatment of anholonomous constraints ...
Are the anholonomous constraints treated correctly in older editions?

Likes StenEdeback
Demystifier said:
At a similar level M. Burgess, Classical Covariant Fields.
Thank you Demystifier!

Likes Demystifier
Demystifier said:
Are the anholonomous constraints treated correctly in older editions?
Yes!

• Love
  • Informative
Likes malawi_glenn and Demystifier
I believe the book "Gravitation: Foundations and Frontiers" by T. Padmanabhan (and his online lectures) is best. And Landau-Lifshitz's classical theory of fields, Feynman's lectures on Gravitation, Gravitation and Cosmology by S. Weinberg are better.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is relativistic classical field theory?

Relativistic classical field theory is a branch of physics that combines the principles of relativity and classical field theory to describe the behavior of particles and fields in a relativistic setting. It is used to study the dynamics of charged particles and their interactions with electromagnetic fields.

2. What is the difference between classical field theory and quantum field theory?

Classical field theory describes the behavior of particles and fields at a macroscopic level, while quantum field theory takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics and describes the behavior of particles and fields at a microscopic level. Additionally, classical field theory does not take into account the effects of uncertainty and quantization, which are central to quantum field theory.

3. What are some applications of relativistic classical field theory?

Relativistic classical field theory has many practical applications, including the study of electromagnetism, quantum electrodynamics, and the behavior of particles in high-energy accelerators. It is also used in theoretical models of astrophysics and cosmology.

4. Who were some of the pioneers in the development of relativistic classical field theory?

Some of the notable scientists who contributed to the development of relativistic classical field theory include Albert Einstein, Max Planck, James Clerk Maxwell, and Hendrik Lorentz. Other important figures include Hermann Minkowski, who introduced the concept of spacetime, and Paul Dirac, who developed the equations for relativistic quantum mechanics.

5. What are some current research topics in relativistic classical field theory?

Current research in relativistic classical field theory focuses on areas such as quantum field theory in curved spacetime, the behavior of particles in strong gravitational fields, and the study of topological defects in field theories. Other topics of interest include the development of new theoretical models and the application of relativistic classical field theory to cosmological and astrophysical phenomena.