Electromagnetic fields of fundamental particles -- help please

In summary, there is no clear explanation for how an electric field of a quark or lepton is generated from photons, and the property of electric charge is not defined but rather comes from a symmetry in quantum field theory. Other theories, such as string theory, have not been successful in explaining these fundamental concepts.
sirios
Hi, we know that the particles have intrinsic properties for them electric field and magnetic moment, but for what I mean particles, I mean quarks, the fundamental blocks of (protons, neutrons and mesons) with everything that nobody explained as electric and The magnetic field of a particle and lepton quarks occurs can someone explain me, or is that just another mystery to be unraveled by quantum theories?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you are asking. Can you try to fix the grammar of your question and explain it more clearly?

well, what I tried to ask was this: if there is a theory, other than string theory, that explains how an electric field of a quark or lepton is generated from photons? or how the electric charge property is defined, that is, positive or negative? since the theoretical models can not go beyond the quarks.

Last edited by a moderator:
sirios said:
well, what I tried to ask was this: if there is a theory, other than string theory, that explains how an electric field of a quark or lepton is generated from photons? or how is the property of the electric charge defined, ie, positive or negative? since the theoretical models can not go beyond the quarks.

You are confused about a number of things:

1. Everything is not made of photons

2. The basis of electric charge is not a definition but comes from what's called U(1) symmetry.

3. Unfortunately, right now, string theory hasn't quite worked out as its originators hoped - it was a very valuable development but has not really explained anything fundamental like symmetry I mention above, but is still in active development:
https://www.quantamagazine.org/string-theorys-strange-second-life-20160915.

I think you need, in light of the above restate your query. But the following may help you:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1591024242/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks
Bill

Hi guys, I'm correcting the question because I think a lot of people did not understand what I asked, well, what I tried to ask was this: if there is a theory, besides string theory, that explains how an electric field of a quark or lepton are generated from photons? or how is defined the property of electric charge, ie, positive or negative? since the theoretical models can not go beyond the quarks.

bhobba said:
You are confused about a number of things:

1. Everything is not made of photons

2. The basis of electric charge is not a definition but comes from what's called U(1) symmetry.

3. Unfortunately, right now, string theory hasn't quite worked out as its originators hoped - it was a very valuable development but has not really explained anything fundamental like symmetry I mention above, but is still in active development:
https://www.quantamagazine.org/string-theorys-strange-second-life-20160915.

I think you need, in light of the above restate your query. But the following may help you:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1591024242/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks
Bill
Thank you só much

sirios said:
Hi guys, I'm correcting the question because I think a lot of people did not understand what I asked, well, what I tried to ask was this: if there is a theory, besides string theory, that explains how an electric field of a quark or lepton are generated from photons? or how is defined the property of electric charge, ie, positive or negative? since the theoretical models can not go beyond the quarks.
String theory does not explain that.

Quantum field theory provides a great description of it. This works for all charged particles, leptons and quarks alike.

Likes bhobba

What are electromagnetic fields of fundamental particles?

Electromagnetic fields of fundamental particles are the force fields generated by charged particles, such as electrons and protons, that interact with each other through the exchange of photons.

What is the significance of electromagnetic fields in particle physics?

Electromagnetic fields play a crucial role in understanding the behavior and interactions of fundamental particles. They help us explain phenomena such as the electromagnetic force, which is responsible for holding atoms and molecules together, and the emission and absorption of light.

How are electromagnetic fields measured and studied in particle physics?

Electromagnetic fields can be measured through experiments using specialized equipment, such as particle accelerators and detectors. They can also be studied through theoretical models and calculations based on fundamental laws of physics, such as Maxwell's equations.

Can electromagnetic fields be manipulated or controlled in particle physics experiments?

Yes, electromagnetic fields can be manipulated and controlled in particle physics experiments. For example, in particle accelerators, scientists can control the strength and direction of electromagnetic fields to accelerate and steer particles.

What are the implications of understanding electromagnetic fields of fundamental particles?

Understanding electromagnetic fields of fundamental particles can help us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of matter and the universe. It also has practical applications in fields such as technology and medicine, where electromagnetic fields are used in devices like MRI machines and particle accelerators.