Electromagnetic Radiation of Single frequency Incident on a Slab

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
MattIverson
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The problem is state in the attachment.

Homework Equations


None to add.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Struggling with this problem because of the phasor part of it. Perhaps this is justified because the angle is very small and so that relates to a low frequency? Is it that you add the x and y vectors together? I'm not really sure. I have some little ideas like that, but honestly I'm pretty lost on this problem.

I would so much appreciate some help with this problem! Thank you so much!
 
Attachments
  • 4.png
    4.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 568
Physics news on Phys.org
What this refers to is basically a Huygens principle for determining the speed of light through the dielectric which normally gets slowed by the presence of the polarization that occurs in the material with, with ## n=\sqrt{\epsilon_r} ## where ## P=\epsilon_o \chi E ##, and ## \epsilon_r=1+\chi ##. ## \\ ## I don't have the answer at my fingertips either, but I seem to recall something about the index ## n ## being less than 1 for some plasmas above the cut-off frequency, so that the phase velocity would be faster than ## c ##. This would (presumably) make the phase angle positive in the phasor diagram. (I'm just giving you a place to start googling, or researching E&M textbooks). See section 5.2 of this "link" and equation (5.53) https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/nuclear...a-physics-i-fall-2003/lecture-notes/chap5.pdf For frequencies below ## \omega_p ##, the dielectric constant is negative, making ## n ## imaginary, so the wave does not propagate, but rather gets quickly attenuated.
 
Last edited: