1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic signals questions

1. Feb 11, 2006 #1
    Hi i have noticed that some times we can denote an electromagnetic signal using cos os some timew we can write it in exponential form? Is that true? How can we convert from one type to the other?
    For example i think that the signal Acos(wt-kr) it can be written to Ae^i(wt-kr)

Thx a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2006 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Usually, the physical result from complex notion is to take the real part,
    so what you have written is correct. Keep the complex notation until you want to write down the predicted physical measuement.
    The relation is [itex]e^{ix}=\cos x +i\sin x[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2006
  4. Feb 11, 2006 #3
    so when i write Acos(wt-kr) i forget to write the imaginary part right? Dont we lose information in that way? What the real part means (is used for) and what the imaginary one..
    Thx a lot

5. Feb 12, 2006 #4

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Im part is useful for intermediate calculations, but a final physical answer is always just the real part. For Quantum, the physical answer is always bilinear, like \psi^* \psi, which is real.

6. Feb 14, 2006 #5
    Thx a lot and what intermediate calculations are?

7. Feb 15, 2006 #6

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I just mean the steps between the beginning and the final answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?