Electromagnetism, current in coil

In summary, the problem involves a coil of wire suspended by a thread and the tension in the thread decreases when a current flows through the coil. The magnitude of the current can be calculated using the equations F=IlB and B=μNI/l, and the direction of the current cannot be determined without further information.
physics604
1. A coil of 25 turns of wire is suspended by a thread. When a current flows through the coil, the tension in the thread is reduced by 4.0 x 10-2 N. What are the magnitude and direction of the current? {magnitude of current; direction of current}

a) 4.1 A; clockwise
b) 0.16 A; clockwise
c) 0.16 A; counter-clockwise
d) 4.1 A; counter-clockwise

Homework Equations

F=IlB
B= [itex]\frac{\mu NI}{l}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

B=[itex]\mu[/itex]NI/l
F= IlB = Il([itex]\mu[/itex]NI/l) = I2[itex]\mu[/itex]N
I = [itex]\sqrt{ \frac{F}{\mu N} }[/itex]

so I = √4.0x10-2 / 4∏x10-7 x25 = 35.48A

My answer doesn't match with any of theirs.

Also, how would I find the direction of current? I don't know the direction of B (magnetic field).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your reasoning - why would you expect that a current through the wire would decrease the tension in the thread?

Just posting to get on the thread. Seems like there's a lot of info missing. Seems like this problem gives a whole new meaning to "pulling yourself up by the bootstraps"! :smile:

Simon Bridge said:
Show your reasoning - why would you expect that a current through the wire would decrease the tension in the thread?

Is there uniform circular motion involved?

Is there uniform circular motion involved?
You are the one with the whole problem statement in front of you, you tell me: is their uniform circular motion involved?

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a fundamental force of nature that describes the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It is the force that allows for the interaction between electrically charged particles and magnetic fields.

2. How is an electromagnet created using a current in a coil?

An electromagnet is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. The current creates a magnetic field around the coil, causing the coil to act as a magnet. The strength of the electromagnet can be increased by increasing the number of loops in the coil or by increasing the current flowing through it.

3. What is the difference between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet?

The main difference between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet is that the magnetic field of an electromagnet can be turned on and off by controlling the electric current flowing through the coil, while a permanent magnet always has a magnetic field.

4. How is the strength of an electromagnet determined?

The strength of an electromagnet is determined by the number of turns in the coil, the amount of current flowing through the coil, and the type of core material used in the coil. The more turns, the stronger the magnetic field, and the higher the current, the stronger the magnetic field. A core material, such as iron, can also increase the strength of an electromagnet by providing a path for the magnetic field to travel through.

5. What are some practical applications of electromagnets?

Electromagnets have a wide range of practical applications, including use in electric motors, generators, speakers, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. They are also used in everyday devices such as doorbells, telephones, and computer hard drives.