Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Electromagnetism in the Lithosphere and Ionosphere

1. Oct 16, 2017 #1
    Hi guys,

Disclaimer: not a physicist (I wish I was that brainy)

Quick question regarding a speculative architecture project I am undertaking;

In the completely hypothetical event of a huge, otherworldly solar flare super-charging the earth's ionosphere beyond anything we have ever recorded before, is there the possibility of the geomagnetic rocks in the Earth's lithosphere becoming charged, or an effect to the telluric current.

Also, I am completely aware that human life would probably not survive this, welcome to the world of a speculative architecture student haha

Any references etc, just throw them in there, never too much info!

Thanks for the help guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF, Paul.

FYI, we try to help others answer questions here at the PF, but you have to help us understand your question as best as you can please. So posting a question with a series of specific terms that folks have to have prior knowledge of or spend time Googling is kind of a problem. I burned time Googling some of your terms, but am still unsure of what you are asking. Are you just asking if we can build shielded shelters to survive a major solar flare event?
    Interesting -- is that a new vocation that I'm just learning about? :smile:
    http://www.blueplanet.nsw.edu.au/SiteFiles/blueplanetnsweduau/atmosphere.jpg
    atmosphere.jpg
    http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/images/lithosphere.gif
    lithosphere.gif

4. Oct 16, 2017 #3

Drakkith

As far as I am aware, the ionosphere is not charged, it is ionized, and there's nothing the Sun can do to "supercharge" it. Assuming a massive influx of free electrons or protons from space, I suppose the excess charge would be discharged through the atmosphere to the ground though, so perhaps that was what you were asking?

5. Oct 17, 2017 #4
    Thank you for your reply, this is very helpful in order to formulate my project thesis. I will research more into the influx of free electrons and protons to inform the direction of my study.

6. Oct 17, 2017 #5
    Very interesting indeed, my vocation is BSc Architecture / MArch at The Bartlett School of Architecture, however I enjoy taking a more prospective approach to the study to "think outside of the box" as a precursor to succinct architectural science and synthesis.

Sorry for the confusion in my question, my main point of enquiry is whether any solar event can have an affect on the charge of the geomagnetic rocks in the Earth.

Thanks again for taking the time to search up some of the terminology used in my question, as you can probably tell I'm not a regular to the Physics Forum haha!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  7. Oct 17, 2017 #6

Drakkith

Be aware that you cannot approach this in half-measures. By that I mean that trying to do independent study of this topic, without having all of the prerequisite knowledge of physics that those who specialize in this field have, will get you nowhere. It will almost certainly lead you astray without you even knowing. Unless you're just interested in learning about the ionosphere and the effect that "space weather" has on it as a hobby, then don't even try. You'll just be wasting your time. Instead, strive to learn physics from the ground up before even attempting to approach this topic.

As we often say around here, you need to know where the boundaries of the box are before you can begin to think outside of it.

8. Oct 17, 2017 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

for that part of it, you should be googling coronal mass ejections, geomagnetic field storming, aurora

I have quite a few posts on the subject, mainly about the occurrence thereof. Lots more in depth info on the net.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted