1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism question (Vector integration).

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the force caused by external electric field on a charge distribution is given by:
    [tex]F=qE(0)+(p\cdot \nabla)E(0)+...[/tex] (it's enough to show the first two terms), where E(0) is the electric field in the origin which we choose to develop the expression around it.
    p is the electric dipole.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, [tex]F=\int d^3 r E(r)\rho(r)[/tex], from integration by parts I get:
    [tex]F= r \rho(r) E(r) -\int r[\nabla(\rho(r)) E(r) +div(E(r))\rho(r)]d^3 r[/tex]
    Now I develop E(r) around E(0) by taylor expansion: [tex]E(r)=E(0)+div(E(0))r+...[/tex], so div(E(r))=div(E(0))+...
    Now the first term in F is zero by boundary conditions, Now I know that [tex]p=\int d^3 r \rho(r) r[/tex], but if I plug div(E(r))=div(E(0))+... to the third term I get something else than the second term in the question, the first term I do get, because: [tex]\int r \nabla(rho) d^3 r=r\rho(r) - \int \rho(r) d^3r[/tex] and plugging it back and inserting E(r)=E(0)+div(E(0))r... I get that the third term is: div(E(0))p, and the second term is -2div(E(0))p+-qE(0), so in summary I get: qE(0)+p.div(E(0))+...
    But it's not the same as what I need to show here, but I don't see where did I got this wrong, can someone enlight me?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How exactly are you coming up with this?:confused:

You also seem to be using the wrong formula for the Taylor expansion of a vector field...where are you getting this from?

4. Nov 11, 2009 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Ok, I think I got my mistake, the taylor expansion should be:
    [tex]E(r)=E(0)+r\cdot\nabla E(0)+...[/tex]
    correct?

5. Nov 11, 2009 #4

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

For the first question, I guess I take [tex]u=E(r)\rho(r)[/tex] and [tex]v=r[/tex] in integration by parts, where I use (uv)'=u'v+uv'.

6. Nov 11, 2009 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks better!:smile:

7. Nov 11, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, integration by parts doesn't work the same way in 3 dimensions as it does in one. You are trying to compute a volume integral (over [itex]d^3\textbf{r}[/itex]), not just an integral over [itex]r[/itex].

In vector Calculus, there are actually six product rules and none of them help you here.

8. Nov 12, 2009 #7

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

OK, thanks I see how to solve it now, it's quite immediate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook