Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron as a solution to Maxwell's Eqns

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    If an electron (and positron) can be created from a high energy photon (pair production), I was wondering if there are any (maybe old) papers in which people explored the possibility of an electron just being a solution to Maxwell's equations, just another EM-field perhaps like a photon but traveling in circles which somehow results in having properties like mass, spin, ....

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2
    The photon is the quanta of the EM-field just as the electron is a quanta in the electron-field. These fields are fundamentally different and require distinct approaches. I think though that if you are really interested in exploring the possibility that you pointed out, i would search for papers regarding the electron's mass as being purely electromagnetic. This is the closest thing i can think of right now.

Try this wikipedia article to get you started http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_mass

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

All solutions to the Maxwell equations in vacuum can be written in terms of electromagnetic waves ("light"), there are no solutions left to describe a massive particle.

5. Mar 10, 2013 #4
  6. Mar 11, 2013 #5

naima

Gold Member

Please read this old Hestenes paper
    The electrons travel here around circles at the speed of light.
    This is of course a non orthodox theory: Electrons obey a modified Dirac equation.
    You can also read what Penrose wrote on the massless zigzag electrons.

7. Mar 11, 2013 #6
    A related idea is the geon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geon_(physics [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook