Pair Production by two photons : energy range of the electron created

In summary, the conversation discusses the study of pair production by two photons, focusing on understanding the energy range of the resulting electron. An old paper from Aharonian 1983 is being studied, and the situation involves a cloud of isotropically distributed photons creating an electron-positron pair. The page of the paper attached includes an inequality that needs to be solved for the variables x and k. After some discussion and suggestions, the conversation concludes with the realization that the equations (21) can be derived from the first one.
Tabatta
Hi all,

I'm currently studying pair production by two photons (a high-energy one traveling in a isotropic field of low-energy ones), and I'm trying to understand the energy range of the electron created by this phenomenon.
For this, I'm studying an old paper from Aharonian 1983, "Photoproduction of electron-positron pairs in compact x-ray sources".
The situation is the following : we consider a cloud of isotropically distributed photons with four-momentum vectors [itex] k_1^{\mu} = (\omega_1, \stackrel{\rightarrow}{k_1}), k_2^{\mu} = (\omega_2, \stackrel{\rightarrow}{k_2}) [/itex], with [itex] \omega_1 \leq \omega_2 [/itex], creating an electron-positron pair with four-momentum vectors [itex] p_{\pm}^{\mu} = (\epsilon_{\pm}, \stackrel{\rightarrow}{p_{\pm}}) [/itex].
Let [itex] \stackrel{\rightarrow}{k} = \stackrel{\rightarrow}{k_1} + \stackrel{\rightarrow}{k_2} [/itex] be the total momentum of the two-photons system, and [itex] E = \omega_1 + \omega_2 , \Delta = \omega_2 - \omega_1 [/itex].
I attached the page of the paper where my "problem" is. I understand how he gets the inequality [itex] \sqrt{ k^2 + \epsilon^2 -2kp} \leq E - \epsilon \leq \sqrt{ k^2 + \epsilon^2 +2kp} [/itex], but then even when I try to replace [itex] \epsilon [/itex] by the new variable [itex] x = \epsilon - \frac{E}{2} [/itex] and to use [itex] p = \sqrt{ \epsilon^2 -1} [/itex] (in natural units), I don't get the equations (21).

If some of you had some ideas of how to get them, it would help me a lot, 'cause it's kind of obsessing me right now ! Thank you for reading this message anyway :smile:.

Attachments

• Pair_production.pdf
    152.7 KB · Views: 522
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get, instead of the equations 21?
As they don't have ##\epsilon## and p any more, an obvious solving method is to replace them in the inequality, and then solve it for x and k respectively.

Thanks, I finally managed to get the first equation of 21 and then I realized that the two other ones just come from this one ... Thanks again :smile: !

1. What is pair production by two photons?

Pair production by two photons is a process in which two photons (particles of light) interact and produce a pair of particles, typically an electron and its antiparticle, a positron.

2. How does pair production by two photons occur?

Pair production by two photons can occur when two high-energy photons interact near an atomic nucleus or in the electric field of a nucleus. The photons must have a combined energy greater than the rest mass energy of the particles being produced.

3. What is the energy range of the electron created in pair production?

The energy range of the electron created in pair production can vary depending on the energy of the two photons involved. However, the electron will always have an energy equal to or greater than half of the combined energy of the two photons.

4. Can pair production by two photons occur with low-energy photons?

No, pair production by two photons can only occur with high-energy photons. The photons must have a combined energy greater than the rest mass energy of the particles being produced in order for the process to take place.

5. What is the significance of pair production by two photons in particle physics?

Pair production by two photons is an important process in particle physics as it demonstrates the conversion of energy into matter. This process is also used in particle accelerators to produce high-energy particles for further study.