Pair Production by two photons : energy range of the electron created

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Tabatta
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I'm currently studying pair production by two photons (a high-energy one traveling in a isotropic field of low-energy ones), and I'm trying to understand the energy range of the electron created by this phenomenon.
For this, I'm studying an old paper from Aharonian 1983, "Photoproduction of electron-positron pairs in compact x-ray sources".
The situation is the following : we consider a cloud of isotropically distributed photons with four-momentum vectors [itex]k_1^{\mu} = (\omega_1, \stackrel{\rightarrow}{k_1}), k_2^{\mu} = (\omega_2, \stackrel{\rightarrow}{k_2})[/itex], with [itex]\omega_1 \leq \omega_2[/itex], creating an electron-positron pair with four-momentum vectors [itex]p_{\pm}^{\mu} = (\epsilon_{\pm}, \stackrel{\rightarrow}{p_{\pm}})[/itex].
Let [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{k} = \stackrel{\rightarrow}{k_1} + \stackrel{\rightarrow}{k_2}[/itex] be the total momentum of the two-photons system, and [itex]E = \omega_1 + \omega_2 , \Delta = \omega_2 - \omega_1[/itex].
I attached the page of the paper where my "problem" is. I understand how he gets the inequality [itex]\sqrt{ k^2 + \epsilon^2 -2kp} \leq E - \epsilon \leq \sqrt{ k^2 + \epsilon^2 +2kp}[/itex], but then even when I try to replace [itex]\epsilon[/itex] by the new variable [itex]x = \epsilon - \frac{E}{2}[/itex] and to use [itex]p = \sqrt{ \epsilon^2 -1}[/itex] (in natural units), I don't get the equations (21).

If some of you had some ideas of how to get them, it would help me a lot, 'cause it's kind of obsessing me right now ! Thank you for reading this message anyway :smile:.
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get, instead of the equations 21?
As they don't have ##\epsilon## and p any more, an obvious solving method is to replace them in the inequality, and then solve it for x and k respectively.
 
Thanks, I finally managed to get the first equation of 21 and then I realized that the two other ones just come from this one ... Thanks again :smile: !