Electron-positron annihilation, photon emission angle

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of conservation of four-momentum in a laboratory system to find the energy and angle of two emitted photons in a positron-electron annihilation scenario. The initial four-momentums of the positron, electron, and two photons are given, and conservation of energy and momentum equations are set up and solved to find the energy of the second photon and the angle between the two photons.
Frostman
Homework Statement
In the annihilation process ##e^+e^- \rightarrow \gamma \gamma##, seen in the reference system of the laboratory, in which the electron is stationary and the positron has energy E, it may happen that one of the two photons is emitted at right angles to the direction of incidence of the positron. Calculate, in this case, the energy and the scattering angle of the other photon.
Relevant Equations
Conservation of the four-momentum
I consider the laboratory system. The four momentums in this reference system are respectively:
##p^\mu = \big(\sqrt{|p|^2+m^2}, 0, 0, |p| \big)##
##p'^\mu= \big(m, 0, 0, 0 \big)##
##k^\mu = E\big(1, 0, 1, 0\big)##
##k'^\mu = E'\big(1, 0, -\sin \varphi, \cos \varphi \big)##

I used conservation of four-momentum:
##(k^\mu)^2=(p^\mu+p'^\mu-k'^\mu)^2##

And I find out that:

##E'=\frac{m^2+m\sqrt{|p|^2+m^2}}{m+\sqrt{|p|^2+m^2}-|p|\cos\varphi}##

But I still have two unknown variables...

Physics news on Phys.org
Frostman said:
I used conservation of four-momentum
Did you?
I'm not well versed in relativity, but I would have thought conservation of four-momentum was a vectorial equation, just as it is for 3D momentum. Looks to me like you only considered the norm conserved.

Likes vela
haruspex said:
Did you?
I'm not well versed in relativity, but I would have thought conservation of four-momentum was a vectorial equation, just as it is for 3D momentum. Looks to me like you only considered the norm conserved.
Yes, I used the fact that the quantity ##p^\mu+p'^\mu = k^\mu+k'^\mu## must be equal both in the initial state and in the final state after that I elevated and got that relation.

Frostman said:
Yes, I used the fact that the quantity ##p^\mu+p'^\mu = k^\mu+k'^\mu## must be equal both in the initial state and in the final state after that I elevated and got that relation.
But surely you would have got more information than is represented in a single scalar equation? I'm probably missing something, but you seem to have, in scalar terms, four equations and three unknowns.

I'm also a bit confused by your four expressions for the four momenta. I assume they are intended to be, in order, positron, electron, gamma of known direction, gamma of unknown direction. But although E is given as the energy of the positron, E appears in your expression for a gamma, not in the expression for the positron.

As @haruspex says, you are missing too many equations here. You should have three equations: conservation of energy and momentum in the ##y## and ##z## directions, if that's what you are using.

First, you need to eliminate the angle and get an equation for the energy of the second photon, in terms of ##E## and ##m##.

PeroK said:
As @haruspex says, you are missing too many equations here. You should have three equations: conservation of energy and momentum in the ##y## and ##z## directions, if that's what you are using.

First, you need to eliminate the angle and get an equation for the energy of the second photon, in terms of ##E## and ##m##.

So, I'll start with writing the initial data correctly:

##p^\mu_{e^+} = \big(E, 0, 0, \sqrt{E^2-m^2} \big)##
##p^\mu_{e^-}= \big(m, 0, 0, 0 \big)##
##k^\mu_{\gamma_1} = E_1\big(1, 0, 1, 0\big)##
##k^\mu_{\gamma_2} = E_2\big(1, 0, -\sin \varphi, \cos \varphi \big)##

In the lab-frame, ##e^+## comes from left to right along z-axe.
In the lab-frame, ##e^-## is at rest.
In the lab-frame, ##\gamma_1## goes along y-axe, because, by hypothesis, it's emitted orthogonally to the ##e^+## direction.

I need to find ##E_2## and ##\varphi## for ##\gamma_2##.

If I used conservation of four-momentum, I would have:

##E: \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ E+m=E_1+E_2##
##p_x: \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ 0+0=0+0##
##p_y: \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ 0+0=E_1-E_2\sin\varphi##
##p_z: \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \sqrt{E^2-m^2}+0=0+E_2\cos \varphi##

Can we agree on this?

Frostman said:
So, I'll start with writing the initial data correctly:

##p^\mu_{e^+} = \big(E, 0, 0, \sqrt{E^2-m^2} \big)##
##p^\mu_{e^-}= \big(m, 0, 0, 0 \big)##
##k^\mu_{\gamma_1} = E_1\big(1, 0, 1, 0\big)##
##k^\mu_{\gamma_2} = E_2\big(1, 0, -\sin \varphi, \cos \varphi \big)##

In the lab-frame, ##e^+## comes from left to right along z-axe.
In the lab-frame, ##e^-## is at rest.
In the lab-frame, ##\gamma_1## goes along y-axe, because, by hypothesis, it's emitted orthogonally to the ##e^+## direction.

I need to find ##E_2## and ##\varphi## for ##\gamma_2##.

If I used conservation of four-momentum, I would have:

##E: \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ E+m=E_1+E_2##
##p_x: \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ 0+0=0+0##
##p_y: \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ 0+0=E_1-E_2\sin\varphi##
##p_z: \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \sqrt{E^2-m^2}+0=0+E_2\cos \varphi##

Can we agree on this?
Yes. Now, how do you normally get rid of sines and cosines?

PeroK said:
Yes. Now, how do you normally get rid of sines and cosines?
Except, in this case, we need to find the angle too, so it might be simpler to start by collapsing sin and cos into a single trig function and eliminate the unknown energies instead?

haruspex said:
Except, in this case, we need to find the angle too, so it might be simpler to start by collapsing sin and cos into a single trig function and eliminate the unknown energies instead?
I calculated the energy first and it all comes out. It might be slightly messier to try to find the angle first.

I can go for:

##E_1^2=E_2^2\sin^2\varphi##
##E^2-m^2=E_2^2\cos^2\varphi##

Adding these two equations and exploiting the energy conservation relation I get:

##E^2-m^2+E_1^2=E_2^2##

Remmebering:
##E_1 = E+m-E_2##
##E_1^2=E^2+m^2+E_2^2+2Em-2EE_2-2E_2m##

Replacing:
##E^2-m^2+E^2+m^2+E_2^2+2Em-2EE_2-2E_2m=E_2^2##

Result:
##E_2=\frac{E^2+Em}{E+m}##

While for angle ##\varphi##

##\cos \varphi = \frac{\sqrt{E^2-m^2}}{E^2+Em}(E+m)=\frac{\sqrt{E^2-m^2}}{E}=\sqrt{1-\frac{m^2}{E^2}}##

Frostman said:
Result
##E_2=\frac{E^2+Em}{E+m}##
That simplifies!

Frostman said:
##\cos \varphi = \frac{\sqrt{E^2-m^2}}{E^2+Em}(E+m)=\frac{\sqrt{E^2-m^2}}{E}=\sqrt{1-\frac{m^2}{E^2}}##

Why not use ##\sin \varphi##?

PeroK said:
That simplifies!
Why not use ##\sin \varphi##?
I forgot to simplify, so:

##E_2=E##

And it's much easier to use ##\sin \varphi##
##\sin \varphi=\frac mE##

So I can notice, in this lab-frame, that ##\gamma_2## gets the same energy of ##e^+##, while ##\gamma_1## has, as energy, the mass of the ##e^-## at rest.

Likes PeroK
Thank you so much for the help!

You can avoid much of the algebra if you consider ##(p_{e^+}-k_1)^2 = (k_2 - p_{e^-})^2## to show that ##E_1 = (m/E) E_2##.

Likes Frostman and vanhees71

1. What is electron-positron annihilation?

Electron-positron annihilation is a process in which an electron and a positron (the antimatter counterpart of an electron) collide and are converted into energy in the form of two photons.

2. How does electron-positron annihilation occur?

During electron-positron annihilation, the two particles come into close proximity and interact through the electromagnetic force. This results in the creation of a virtual photon, which then decays into two real photons that are emitted in opposite directions.

3. What is the role of the photon emission angle in electron-positron annihilation?

The photon emission angle refers to the angle at which the two photons are emitted after the annihilation of the electron and positron. This angle is determined by the momentum and energy of the initial particles and is an important factor in understanding the dynamics of the annihilation process.

4. How is electron-positron annihilation studied?

Electron-positron annihilation is studied through experiments in particle accelerators, where high-energy electrons and positrons are collided and the resulting photon emission angles are measured and analyzed. Theoretical models and simulations are also used to study this process.

5. What are the applications of electron-positron annihilation?

Electron-positron annihilation has various applications in fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and medical imaging. It is also used in positron emission tomography (PET) scans to detect and image the distribution of positron-emitting isotopes in the body.