Electron radius/scattering experiments

In summary, experiments are being conducted to determine the maximum radius of the electron, as its charge is quantum mechanically smeared due to interaction with the electromagnetic field. Some publications provide insight on this, but the concept of a classical finite size is misleading. Penning trap experiments are commonly used, but there are also papers discussing the scattering side of the argument. Additionally, the visualization of the electron as a group of spheres resembling corn on the cob may help with understanding its orbital or wave nature.
granpa
could someone provide some links to some of the experiments that establish the maximum radius of the electron. preferably with some explanation of how it works and what the raw data was. google is not much use.

but not experiments like the penning trap that just measure g. (gyromagnetic ratio).

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there,

You cannot think of the electron as an Earth like particle spinning around the Sun. Therefore, some experiments are underway to determine more precisely the shape, size, and charge distribution of the electrons

Cheers

granpa said:
could someone provide some links to some of the experiments that establish the maximum radius of the electron. preferably with some explanation of how it works and what the raw data was.

As the electron is always in interaction with the quantized electromagnetic field, its charge is quantum mechanically smeared. See my publications on that: http://arxiv.org/abs/0806.2635 and http://arxiv.org/abs/0811.4416.

The smearing size may be infinite or finite, depending on external binding force. If there is no binding force, the size is infinite. That means there may not be elastic scattering. Any scattering is inelastic - you "break" the compound system initial state. You excite the internal degrees of freedom - photon oscillators. It is known that any scattering is accompanied with the soft radiation. The inclusive picture gives the Rutherford cross section as if the electron stayed at the center of inertia and were point-like.

The classical finite size, whatever it is, is misleading since even "point-like" electron is needed an infinitely long "hands" to interact, so strictly speaking the finite size notion is applicable only to neural bodies.

Bob.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the typical arguments about the electron size are from penning trap experiments as they provide a more accurate determination.

For the scattering side of the argument, you might like to check out this paper: http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRD/v30/i3/p515_1 by Bender et al.

granpa said:
could someone provide some links to some of the experiments that establish the maximum radius of the electron. preferably with some explanation of how it works and what the raw data was. google is not much use.

but not experiments like the penning trap that just measure g. (gyromagnetic ratio).

I,m sure this is in no way quite what your asking about, but to me it is impressive and helps to make a picture in my mind, that orbital or wave, the final object is a group of spheres and they look so much like corn on the cob, I'm getting hungry looking at it.
Seriously I thought the link might in some way lead to some other information you can use.:cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Atomic_resolution_Au100.JPG

1. What is the purpose of electron radius/scattering experiments?

The purpose of electron radius/scattering experiments is to study the properties of electrons and their interactions with other particles. This can provide valuable information about the structure of matter and the fundamental forces of nature.

2. How are electron radius/scattering experiments conducted?

Electron radius/scattering experiments are typically conducted using particle accelerators, which accelerate electrons to high speeds and then collide them with a target material. The resulting scattering patterns are then analyzed to gather information about the properties of electrons.

3. What is the significance of the electron radius in these experiments?

The electron radius is a fundamental property of the electron that determines its size and shape. By measuring the electron radius in scattering experiments, scientists can gain insights into the structure of the electron and its interactions with other particles.

4. What have we learned from electron radius/scattering experiments?

Electron radius/scattering experiments have provided important insights into the nature of matter and the fundamental forces of nature. This includes confirming the Standard Model of particle physics, discovering new particles, and gathering data on the structure of protons and neutrons.

5. Are there any current or future applications for electron radius/scattering experiments?

Yes, there are many potential applications for the data gathered from electron radius/scattering experiments. This includes improving our understanding of nuclear physics, developing new technologies in fields such as medicine and energy, and potentially discovering new particles or phenomena that can lead to breakthroughs in science and technology.