Electronegativity and element identification

In summary, a probe exploring one of the moons of Jupiter discovered a gas pocket under the surface. After performing on-board experiments, the probe determined that the gas contains an element with an ionization energy of 1527 KJ/mol and an electron affinity of 33KJ/mol. The identity of this element can be expressed using its symbol and may require additional definitions, which can be found on the internet.
plstevens
As part of the exploration of one of the moons of Jupiter, a probe digs under the surface, where it finds a pocket of gas. It starts to do some on-board experimentation. The data stored in the probe's computer include the following table of Mulliken electronegativity values of gases.

Element Electronegativity,x
(KJ/mol)

He 1178
Ne 1030
Ar 746
O 728
N 701
Kr 659
Xe 568
Rn 500

After doing some analysis, the probe determines that the gas pocket contains an element that has an ionization energy of I=1527 KJ/mol and an electron affinity of EA=33KJ/mol. What is the identity of this element?
Express your answer using the symbol for the element (e.g., Hg).

The book I have doesn't offer any help with this problem, if someone could help me i would greatly appreciate it

Physics news on Phys.org
plstevens said:
As part of the exploration of one of the moons of Jupiter, a probe digs under the surface, where it finds a pocket of gas. It starts to do some on-board experimentation. The data stored in the probe's computer include the following table of Mulliken electronegativity values of gases.

Element Electronegativity,x
(KJ/mol)

He 1178
Ne 1030
Ar 746
O 728
N 701
Kr 659
Xe 568
Rn 500

After doing some analysis, the probe determines that the gas pocket contains an element that has an ionization energy of I=1527 KJ/mol and an electron affinity of EA=33KJ/mol. What is the identity of this element?
Express your answer using the symbol for the element (e.g., Hg).

The book I have doesn't offer any help with this problem, if someone could help me i would greatly appreciate it
This seems very much an homework.

plstevens said:
What are the 3 definitions you may need in order to solve this problem. If they are not in your book, can you find them on the internet?

PS: Next time round, use the Homework Forums (other sciences) for help with chemistry problems. This thread will be moved there by an Mentor.

1. What is electronegativity?

Electronegativity is a measure of an atom's ability to attract electrons in a chemical bond. It is determined by factors such as the number of protons in the nucleus and the distance between the nucleus and the outermost electrons.

2. How is electronegativity measured?

Electronegativity is measured on the Pauling scale, which assigns a numerical value to each element ranging from 0.7 to 4.0. The higher the value, the more electronegative the element is.

3. How does electronegativity affect chemical bonds?

Electronegativity differences between atoms in a chemical bond determine the type of bond that forms. If the difference is small, a covalent bond is formed, where electrons are shared between atoms. If the difference is large, an ionic bond is formed, where one atom gives up an electron to the other.

4. Which element has the highest electronegativity?

Fluorine has the highest electronegativity with a value of 4.0 on the Pauling scale. This is because it has a small atomic radius and a high number of protons, making it highly attractive to electrons.

5. How can electronegativity be used to identify elements?

By knowing the electronegativity values of elements, we can predict the types of chemical bonds they are likely to form. This information can also be used to identify unknown compounds by analyzing their bond types.

Back