1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics and nuclear force problem

1. Feb 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two protons in an atomic nucleus are typically separated by a distance of 2x10-15 m. The electric repulsion force between the protons is huge, but the attractive nuclear force is even stronger and keeps the nucleus from bursting apart. What is the magnitude of the electric force between two protons separated by
    2.00x10-15.

2. Relevant equations
    F = (kq1q2) / r2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no experience in electrostatics...I'm not sure how to solve this without knowing the charges of the two protons. Is there a certain way to?
    Thank you to all who read this and/or reply :).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The charge of a proton is related to the charge of an electron. You should be able to find the value in your textbook or a quick web search.

4. Feb 20, 2016 #3
    Oh, I understand. So because the charge of an electron is -1.6x10-19, the charge of a proton would be +1.610-19?
    And this charge can be used for q1 and q2.

5. Feb 20, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right. When giving the value of something, always include the units.

6. Feb 20, 2016 #5
    Oh haha. The charge of an electron is -1.6x10-19 Coulombs therefore the charge of a proton is +1.6x10-19 Coulombs.

Thank you :).

7. Feb 20, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good. If I ask someone how old they are and they say, "twenty three", I ask them what units they are using. Could that be why I don't have many friends?

8. Feb 20, 2016 #7
    LOL. Now every time I say my age, I'll think of you and make sure to add years onto the end.

9. Feb 20, 2016 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted