1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics, Energy of a uniformly charged sphere

1. Feb 13, 2007 #1
    From Griffiths, Third edition Intro Electrodynamics

I've been working on this problem, and I get 2 different answers. I get the same answer for parts b and c, but not for a. I know I'm probably just doing something silly along the way, but I can't find my mistake...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the energy stored in a uniformly charged solid sphere of radius R and charge q. Do it three different ways:
    (a) Use Eq. 2.43
    (b) Use Eq. 2.45
    (c) Use Eq. 2.44

2. Relevant equations
    Eq. 2.43 [tex]W=\frac{1}{2}\int \rho V d\tau[/tex]
    Eq. 2.45 [tex]W=\frac{\epsilon_{0}}{2}\int_{all space} E^2 d\tau[/tex]
    Eq. 2.44 [tex]W=\frac{\epsilon_{0}}{2}\left(\int_{V} E^2 d\tau + \oint_{S} VE\cdot da\right)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

For part (a) we have:
    [tex] E(r)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}\frac{kq}{r^2}, &\mbox{ if } r > R\\ \frac{kq}{R^3} r, &\mbox{ if } r < R \end{array}\right
    \\ \Rightarrow V(r) = \left\{\begin{array}{cc}\frac{kq}{r}, & r > R\\ \frac{3kq}{2R} - \frac{kq}{R^3} r^2, & r < R \end{array}\right[/tex]

Since it's uniformly charged, we know that:
    [tex] \rho = \frac{3q}{4\pi R^3} \\ [/tex]

Then we can evaluate Eq. 2.43 to get:
    [tex] W=2\pi\rho\int_{0}^R V(r) r^2 dr \\
    = \frac{9}{20} \frac{kq^2}{R} [/tex]

For (b) and (c) however I get:

[tex] W=\frac{3}{5} \frac{kq^2}{R} [/tex]

So they are off by a factor of 3/4.

If you need to see more work to help me find my mistake, let me know and I will post more details.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

E is the NEGATIVE gradient of the potential. You have a sign error. Also as written V is not even continuous across r=R, but I assume that is just a typo.
  4. Feb 14, 2007 #3
    Thanks, there's no sign errors, but I forgot a factor of 1/2 in the second term of V for r<R
  5. Feb 14, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guess you're right. The sign error was mine!
  6. Feb 14, 2007 #5
    Yeah, I worked it out with the correct expression for V, and it gives me the same answer now, thanks.
  7. Apr 27, 2009 #6
    NeoDevin, you wouldn't happen to be in professor schick's class would you?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?