Elegant solution to this vector equation?

• Thread starter monea83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the author is trying to find a plane that intersects a line in general position. They use equations that state the plane needs to be normal to the line and have the vectors be perpendicular to each other. If the line is normal to the plane, then the plane is not uniquely defined and can be assumed to have the following normals: \hat{x}=-\frac{\sin\alpha}{\sqrt{1-(\hat{n}\cdot \hat{d})^2}}~ \hat{n}\times \hat{d}, \hat{x}=\frac{\cos\alpha}{1-(\hat{n}\cdot \hat{d})^2} [
monea83
Given are a plane E and a line l in general position. I need to find a plane that contains l and intersects E at a given angle [tex]\alpha[/tex]. All of this happens in R^3.

The interesting part is to find the normal of the unknown plane, let us call this normal x. I came up with the following equations:

[tex]x^Tx = 1[/tex]

[tex]x^Tn = \cos \alpha[/tex]

[tex]x^Td = 0[/tex]

in which n is the unit normal vector of the given plane, and d is the direction vector of l.

(1) says I want a unit vector, (2) says the planes need to intersect at a given angle, and (3) says the plane needs to be parallel to the given line.

These equations can easily be solved by writing them out in component form with x=(x1, x2, x3) and doing some substitutions, which will yield a quadratic equation in one of the parameters.

However, I am wondering if there is a more elegant way to express the solution - something more matrixy-vectory? The equations look simple enough...?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the line is normal to the plane E, then the plane we're looking for is not uniquely defined. So we may assume that [tex]\hat{n}\cdot \hat{d} \neq 1[/tex]. In this case, [tex]\hat{n}, \hat{d} , \hat{n}\cdot \hat{d}[/tex] span [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex]. We can solve your conditions to find the normals

[tex] \hat{x} = \frac{\cos\alpha}{1-(\hat{n}\cdot \hat{d})^2} [ \hat{n} -(\hat{n}\cdot \hat{d}) \hat{d} ] \pm \frac{\sin\alpha}{\sqrt{1-(\hat{n}\cdot \hat{d})^2}}~ \hat{n}\times \hat{d}.[/tex]

The sign depends on the orientation of positive [tex]\alpha[/tex].

This looks interesting... I tried to reverse engineer your solution, but didn't quite get there. How do you use the fact that the vectors you mention span [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex]?

1. What is a vector equation?

A vector equation is a mathematical representation of a relationship between two or more vectors. It is commonly written in the form of a + b = c, where a and b are vectors and c is their sum.

2. What is an elegant solution to a vector equation?

An elegant solution to a vector equation is one that is simple, efficient, and easy to understand. It typically involves using mathematical techniques or properties to simplify the equation and find a solution without unnecessary steps or complex calculations.

3. How can I solve a vector equation?

To solve a vector equation, you can use algebraic techniques such as adding, subtracting, and multiplying by a constant to manipulate the equation and isolate the variable(s). You can also use geometric interpretations of vectors to visualize the equation and find a solution.

4. Can a vector equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a vector equation can have multiple solutions. This is because vectors can be shifted and scaled without changing their direction, so there may be multiple combinations of vectors that satisfy the equation.

5. What are some real-life applications of vector equations?

Vector equations have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to represent forces, motion, and displacement in physical systems, as well as to create computer-generated images and animations.