Elementary Equation solving mind-block

• Thread starter truewt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elementary
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of solving equations and the possibility of introducing extraneous roots when multiplying both sides of an equation by a function of x. It is recommended to always check the solutions in the original equation to avoid this issue.
truewt
Hi I have some problems with really basic equations (really elementary)

Let's say in order to solve an equation [TEX]f(x)=0[/TEX], we multiply the equation by [TEX]x[/TEX]. Therefore we conclude that x can never be =0. But what if at the end step we conclude that [TEX]x=0[/TEX] (maybe along with other solutions)? Do we reject the answer and accept the others? Or is our method of solving the equation incorrect?

I do know that it is quite impossible for you to arrive at [TEX]x=0[/TEX] after you multiply [TEX]x[/TEX] throughout in order to solve the equation, as that would mean you had introduced an unnecessary common multiple into the equation..

Mathematics news on Phys.org
truewt said:
Hi I have some problems with really basic equations (really elementary)

Let's say in order to solve an equation f(x)=0, we multiply the equation by x. Therefore we conclude that x can never be =0.
Why would we conclude that?

But what if at the end step we conclude that x=0 (maybe along with other solutions)? Do we reject the answer and accept the others? Or is our method of solving the equation incorrect?

I do know that it is quite impossible for you to arrive at x=0 after you multiply x throughout in order to solve the equation, as that would mean you had introduced an unnecessary common multiple into the equation..
I'm not at all clear what you are saying here. Certainly if you just take an arbitrary equation, say x2= 0, and multiply both sides by x, you can arrive at x= 0: x3= 0 so x= 0. You may be thinking of an equation in which you have good reason to multiply by x- say something like (x-1)/x= 0. In that case, even before you multiply by x, you know that x= 0 cannot be a solution.
It is well known that if you multiply both sides of an equation by any function of x, you may introduce "extraneous" roots: numbers that satisfy the new equation but not the original. The only way to be sure is to check the numbers in the original equation.

Alright thanks. Sorry for not visiting this thread after so long.

1. What is an elementary equation?

An elementary equation is a mathematical expression that contains one or more variables and an equal sign, and can be solved to find the value of the variable(s).

2. What is a mind-block in relation to solving equations?

A mind-block in relation to solving equations refers to a mental barrier or difficulty that prevents a person from being able to understand or solve an equation.

3. How can I overcome a mind-block when solving equations?

One way to overcome a mind-block when solving equations is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps. You can also try taking a break and coming back to the problem with a fresh perspective, or seeking help from a tutor or teacher.

4. What are some common techniques for solving elementary equations?

Some common techniques for solving elementary equations include using the inverse operation, isolating the variable, and using the distributive property. Other techniques include combining like terms, cross-multiplying, and factoring.

5. How important is practice in solving elementary equations?

Practice is essential in solving elementary equations. The more you practice, the more familiar you will become with different equation types and the techniques used to solve them. This will also help you to develop problem-solving skills that can be applied to other areas of mathematics.