1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eletric potential created by a homogenously charged disc

1. Dec 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've to demonstrate the electric potential that a charge q feels when it's broght from infinite to a point z. The problem is that every demonstration i found out there starts with the definition of potential eletric as dV = k. dq/ r²; but i cannot use that, 'cause my professor wants us to go with delta V = - integral ( E. dl). no problem to find the eletric field though. The issue regard the integral

2. Relevant equations

After the integration, when dealing with the limits, infinite and z, the result comes down to + and - infinite, which is clearly an indertermination mathematicaly speaking, in spite of that, if i'm allowed to cancel that out, the result is just perfect. I am posting the picture of what i've done, i've canceled the infinites justifying by the definition of electric potential been zero at r=infinite; but i am not sure that this is allowed.. thanks for the help

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, victorcell. Welcome to PF!

To handle the limit of the integral at z = ∞, you need to evaluate $$ \lim_{z \to \infty} (\sqrt{z^2+R^2} - z)$$

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted