Elevator + Counterweight problem

• Thread starter rpike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elevator
In summary, the problem posted in the picture was about verifying a solution given by a teacher. The solution was correct but it was suggested to save time by solving symbolically and plugging in data at the end. It was also noted that the radius of the rotor cancels in the solution.
rpike

Homework Statement

The problem is as posted in this picture[/B]

Hey guys/girls, my teacher gave us this problem which I am not sure if I have correct. Could someone please verify if my solution is correct.
6qw8kl.jpg

Homework Equations

As in my attempt

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is scanned -
swpnaf.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Your solution is correct, but you save time both for yourself and for the helpers if you do the solution symbolically, and plug in the data at the end. You would see that the radius of the rotor cancels.

ehild said:
Welcome to PF!

Your solution is correct, but you save time both for yourself and for the helpers if you do the solution symbolically, and plug in the data at the end. You would see that the radius of the rotor cancels.
Thanks!
Ok, I will do it symbolically next time

1. What is the "Elevator + Counterweight problem"?

The "Elevator + Counterweight problem" is a theoretical scenario in which a counterweight is used to balance the weight of an elevator car. It is often used as an example in physics and engineering to demonstrate how a counterweight can be used to reduce the amount of energy needed to lift an elevator.

2. How does the counterweight help an elevator?

The counterweight helps an elevator by balancing the weight of the elevator car. This reduces the amount of energy needed to lift or lower the car, making the elevator more efficient and reducing wear and tear on the elevator system.

3. What factors influence the use of a counterweight in elevators?

The weight of the elevator car, the maximum weight capacity of the elevator, and the height of the building are the main factors that influence the use of a counterweight in elevators. The goal is to find the right balance between the weight of the car and the counterweight to make the elevator as efficient as possible.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a counterweight in elevators?

One potential disadvantage of using a counterweight in elevators is that it adds extra weight to the overall system. This can increase the cost of construction and maintenance of the elevator. Additionally, if the counterweight is not properly maintained, it can cause issues with the operation of the elevator.

5. How do engineers determine the optimal weight for a counterweight in an elevator?

Engineers use mathematical equations and computer simulations to determine the optimal weight for a counterweight in an elevator. They take into account factors such as the weight of the elevator car, the maximum weight capacity, and the height of the building to find the most efficient and safe weight for the counterweight.