How Do You Calculate the Velocity of a Counterweight Relative to an Elevator?

  • Thread starter Thread starter deveny7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Elevator Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
deveny7
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In the sketch at right, the winch W draws the cable at a constant rate of 2 m/s.
Calculate the velocity of the counterweight C relative to the elevator E.

Homework Equations



(Sa-Sc)+(Sb-Sc)+Sb=I2

The Attempt at a Solution



I must be using the wrong equation because I am getting really strange answers.
 
Attachments
  • MET 212.jpg
    MET 212.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
deveny7 said:
I must be using the wrong equation because I am getting really strange answers.
Perhaps, perhaps not, we're unable to say either way since you haven't included your working for us to see what equation/s you are using.

Q: How fast is the elevator rising?
 
I used 4Vw +Vc = 0. Which means the elevator would rise at 8m/s but that can't be right.
 
Think about it in terms of the amount of rope wound in. If the winch winds in 2m the elevator goes up 1m. So the elevator moves up at half the speed of the winch eg 1m/s

Then look at the elevator and counter weight. If the elevator were raised say 1 meter how far does the counterweight move relative to the platform? How far does it move relative to the elevator?