Elon Musk's smartphone implants: anticipated in 1967!

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
jtbell
Mentor

Summary:

Elon Musk is working on implants that communicate with smartphones. Did he get the idea from a 1967 movie?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Life imitates art?

Elon Musk is making implants to link the brain with a smartphone (CNN)

This made me think of the movie "The President's Analyst" (1967), in which a global communications conglomerate, The Phone Company (TPC), plots to take over the world by injecting microsocopic Cerebrum Communicators into people:

IIRC, just before this scene, James Coburn (the president's analyst) was abducted by TPC, which used a helicopter to carry away the phone booth in which he was trying to make a call for help.

Likes PhanthomJay

Answers and Replies

Klystron
Gold Member
While I enjoyed the James Coburn movie, and his character in sequels (?), the Musk article reminds me more of Michael Crighton's brilliant novel "The Terminal Man" and subsequent movie starring George Segal as the reluctant implant recipient. Crighton practically made a career after medicine of warning about the dangers of advanced technology on human society, but Terminal Man strikes a chord.

Likes anorlunda
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
Aren't we 80% of the way there already? How much practical difference is there between an implant and a phone that we carry with us all the time?

Likes Klystron
Klystron
Gold Member
And modern neurosurgeons routinely implant electrodes in and connect devices to patients.

1566249215315.png
1566249215315.png

OCR