Elongation of non-uniform (area) bar.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Starwatcher16
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area Elongation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Starwatcher16
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Lets say I have a bar of uniform material where one end has a diameter given by [tex]R_1[/tex] and another end given by [tex]R_2[/tex]. [tex]R_2 > R_1[/tex], R(x) is linear.

So I know now three equations:

A)[tex]s=\frac{E \Delta L}{L}[/tex]

B)[tex]R_x=R_1+\frac{x}{L}*(R_2-R_1)[/tex]

C)[tex]A_x=\pi*R_x^2[/tex]

Therefore, I know:

[tex]\Delta L=\frac{P}{E}\int \frac{dx}{\pi*A_x^2}=\frac{P}{E} \int \frac{dx}{\pi*[R_1+\frac{X}{L}(R_2-R_1)]^2}[/tex],

let [tex]u=R_1+\frac{x}{L}*(R_2-R_1),\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{R_2-R_1}{L}[/tex], so:

[tex]Delta L=\frac{P}{E}*\frac{L}{R_2-R_1} \int \frac{dx}{\pi*[R_1+\frac{X}{L}(R_2-R_1)]^2}=\frac{P}{E\pi}*\frac{L}{R_2-R_1}*[\frac{1}{R_1}-\frac{1}{R_2}][/tex]

[tex]=\frac{P*L}{\pi*E*R_1*R_2}[/tex]

Is that right?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Starwatcher16 said:
Lets say I have a bar of uniform material where one end has a diameter given by [tex]R_1[/tex]

You mean radius here, right? Otherwise, looks good to me.
 
Mapes said:
You mean radius here, right? Otherwise, looks good to me.

Yes, I did. Thanks for the verification.