1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EM Radiation oscillating charged mass

1. Aug 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of mass m and charge q is attached to a spring with force constant k, hanging from the ceiling. Its equilibrium position is a distance h above the floor. It is pulled down a distance d below equilibrium and released, at time t = 0;

Under the usual assumptions (d << lambda << h) calculate the intensity of the radiation hitting the floor as a function of the distance R from the point directly below q.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I see that this is a harmonic oscillator that could be described by x(t) = d cos(wt)
    and a = -w*w*dcos(wt)

I would like to use Larmor's formula: P = u_0 q^2 a^2 / ( 6 pi m c) but I believe that I may need to revert back the to Poynting vector because we are only trying to find intensity [W/area] so: S = u_0 q^2 a^2 / ( 32 pi m c).

I think I'm having a hard time determining how to draw the picture to visualize this situation. How do I handle finding the intensity on the floor? I see that the distance from the mass to the floor is (R^2 + (h+delta)^2)^1/2.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get started with this? Do I need to rewrite the electric and magnetic fields and recalculate the Poynting vector from scratch (re-derive the electric dipole equations essentially?)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2011 #2
    Draw the charge at a height h above a plane. Draw a ring of radius R and thickness dR in said plane centered on the charge. Draw the angles theta and theta + d(theta) that the ring makes.

From http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/Class/phy319/phy319/node146.html

We find the differential power, dP, into a solid angle d(omega) goes as:

dP/d(omega) is proportional to a^2*sin^2(theta) eq. 18.35

d(omega) = sin(theta)*d(theta)*d(phi) See solid angle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_angle

Convince your self that the power that goes through the ring is proportional to:

a^2*sin^3(theta)*d(theta)

There is a geometric relationship between dR and d(theta) that you should be able to find from your drawing.

You know dP/d(omega) but you want dP/dA where dA is the area of the ring.

But dP/dA = dP/d(omega)*d(omega)/dA

All you need is the relationship between d(omega) and dA.

Corrections welcome, hope this helps!

4. Aug 7, 2011 #3
    Hello Spinnor,

Thanks for your excellent response, I've almost figured it out.

From the picture I see that: dR2 = 2(h2 + R2) + dR2 + 2RdR - 2 sqrt(h2 +R2) sqrt( h2 + (R+dR)2) cos( d(theta) )

I decided that this was a mess but we could probably simplify it to where (R+dR)2 ~= R2 so I get: dR = (h2 + R2) d(theta).

Then using the solid angle d(omega) = sin(theta) d(theta) d(phi) I re-arrange and plug it in.

d(omega) = sin(theta) dR d(phi) / sqrt(h2 + R2)

Now there is where I've struggled. I can't seem to translate that into a useful d(omega)/dA expression. Is my approximation for dR correct? Or am I missing something else?

5. Aug 7, 2011 #4
    I think we want dA = R*d(phi)*dR

d(omega)/dA =[sin(theta)*d(theta)*d(phi)]/ R*d(phi)*dR

dR is related to d(theta)

[h^2+R^2]*d(theta)/h = dR , so

d(omega)/dA = [sin(theta)*d(theta)]/R*dR

=[h*sin(theta)*d(theta)]/R*[h^2+R^2]*d(theta)

=[h*sin(theta)]/(R*[h^2+R^2])

So it looks like dP/dA goes as

a^2*sin^2(theta)*d(omega)/dA

We want to get sin(theta) in terms of R. Let straight down be theta = 0, then R/[h^2+R^2]^.5 = sin(theta)

This was pretty sloppy. Better next time, hope it helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook